New here and want to redo my 87 1500.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevysilverado1987

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My 2 cents are that truck is too doggone pretty to be in sand & mud, so leave it be! LOL :hands:

I agree, but it does have some rust starting. getting all new panels. Don't know what color yet.

chevysilverado1987

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Also found out I have the TH350 trans. It has 1 diagonal corner on it right?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Also found out I have the TH350 trans. It has 1 diagonal corner on it right?

Yep. 3 speed auto no OD. Very reliable transmission unlike the 700r4 which needs several mods to even consider being reliable.

I think everyone has the same opinion. You got a mall crawler there. To nice of a truck. How about find you one cheap that's in not so good a shape to go play in the mud with???

chevysilverado1987

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yep. 3 speed auto no OD. Very reliable transmission unlike the 700r4 which needs several mods to even consider being reliable.

I think everyone has the same opinion. You got a mall crawler there. To nice of a truck. How about find you one cheap that's in not so good a shape to go play in the mud with???

Just because it looks good too doesn't mean it can't play. We have different opinions on that then. It will be used and that is why I am asking so many questions to that it will handle some abuse. I didn't say mud bogs. I said some mud. ORV parks.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The truck does look really good, only other thing I can think of is body armor. The steps will have to go. Maybe fabricate some sliders with steps on them but nothing low-hanging. Personally I think you'll regret running it on an ORV park trail, if they're anything like the ones around here. You'll get off-camber and next thing you know a tree is up against your windshield post as you slide off a rock and nothing you can do will avoid tearing something up. Just my opinion but you could build it for the milder trails, still make it able to tow a trailer, and build an older SBC Jeep CJ for the really hardcore stuff.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Just to be clear, we're busting your balls out of pure kindness. We know it's your truck to do with it whatever you want. We all just love to see pretty squares like that being cherished, and the thought of it caked up with mud or scratches/dents down the side from a trail just freaks us out! LOL! Keep us posted though. We like all kinds of projects......even the ones that freak us out. :waytogo:

chevysilverado1987

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The truck does look really good, only other thing I can think of is body armor. The steps will have to go. Maybe fabricate some sliders with steps on them but nothing low-hanging. Personally I think you'll regret running it on an ORV park trail, if they're anything like the ones around here. You'll get off-camber and next thing you know a tree is up against your windshield post as you slide off a rock and nothing you can do will avoid tearing something up. Just my opinion but you could build it for the milder trails, still make it able to tow a trailer, and build an older SBC Jeep CJ for the really hardcore stuff.

Exactly. I don't want to do rocks with it. Mild trails are good. Be able to tow something if I have to. A lot will be sand. That is where it has been the most. I have a jeep for heavy trails and ORV parks. It is not "built" heavily either. Like I said, I just want it to "hang" when I do go out and play with it. Not talking every weekend or anything crazy. Would for sure get another truck for major abuse. :driver:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Exactly. I don't want to do rocks with it. Mild trails are good. Be able to tow something if I have to. A lot will be sand. That is where it has been the most. I have a jeep for heavy trails and ORV parks. It is not "built" heavily either. Like I said, I just want it to "hang" when I do go out and play with it. Not talking every weekend or anything crazy. Would for sure get another truck for major abuse. :driver:

It sounds like you intend on keeping it in good shape then. Playing light to moderate. :High 5:

1981lowrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
V-8
Welcome to the forum, Sweet truck!

chevysilverado1987

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok guys, Been a while. I picked up a 1980 3/4 long box frame, axles, box, tailgate, and headers for a 350. Paid $350 for it. It has the 14 bolt ff rear. I am not sure on the front axle. I decided to go long box instead of short. No idea what gears are in it or anything like that. If it is junk I will scrap some of it and make my money back. Now questions. Is the frame from an 80 3/4 work to put my 87 cab and front end on it? Will my radiator support work on it? What modifications with I have to do to it? I am going to get the frame blasted and powder coated. Found a place that does it cheap and do very good work. I am also keeping my 350. I need to find driveshafts too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You can use your '87 stuff, but you need to use the body mounts for the '80. You may have to change over the radiator support frame brackets and there's probably a few other minor things to tend to.

chevysilverado1987

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You can use your '87 stuff, but you need to use the body mounts for the '80. You may have to change over the radiator support frame brackets and there's probably a few other minor things to tend to.

What do you mean body mounts? the ones on the frame or buy new rubber bushing kit for an 80? It came with a radiator support but I will be using a new 87 one. So I can use this frame? Wondering before I completely strip it and get it looking new again.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What do you mean body mounts? the ones on the frame or buy new rubber bushing kit for an 80? It came with a radiator support but I will be using a new 87 one. So I can use this frame? Wondering before I completely strip it and get it looking new again.

Either the body mounts currently on the '80, or new mounts for an '80. To use the newer radiator support, you might need to swap over your '87 frame brackets that the radiator support bolts to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486