New head unit turns on and then right back off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So, when I turn key to run, the unit comes on for about four seconds. From turn on image to switching to radio “frequencies” on screen, but immediately powers off. I feel like I have it wired correctly. I don’t have red wire for accessory mode, but that’s it. Is it going to be a bad head unit, or am I missing something.

Second problem. The amp & powered sun don’t even light up and there is a remote power on wire from new stereo thst I have connected. Could it be that stereo doesn’t go through process of powering on amp/sub because it turns off too fast? I have a distribution box connected, so if it’s not stereo, maybe it’s this? I grounded amp and sub together. I did grind down paint to bare metal for this.

Any help appreciated
-Dan
You must be registered for see images attach

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
What do you mean you grounded the amp and sub together? The head unit should have a reset button. Is it powering down or is the screen going black? The head unit wants key on power and constant power, separate.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I don't think you should share grounds.
Obvious questious y u no red wire?
Does the circuit you source "power" from stay powered after the unit turns off?

The fuel pump relay only stays powered 5 seconds without a signal from the distributor , that is a common measurement of time in certain regards.

One wire should be constant hot to maintain settings but the other isn't, you must certainly have something wired incorrectly.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What do you mean you grounded the amp and sub together? The head unit should have a reset button. Is it powering down or is the screen going black? The head unit wants key on power and constant power, separate.
So, I drilled hole into cab floor and attached the ground from the sun and the amp to it.

I attached the yellow run power wire to the yellow head unit wire in diagram, but didn’t connect red wire because I thought it was only for accessory mode. Does the radio run while the truck is on from the red wire?
I don't think you should share grounds.
Obvious questious y u no red wire?
Does the circuit you source "power" from stay powered after the unit turns off?

The fuel pump relay only stays powered 5 seconds without a signal from the distributor , that is a common measurement of time in certain regards.

One wire should be constant hot to maintain settings but the other isn't, you must certainly have something wired incorrectly.
If you look at the diagram, I thought the red wire was just for when you wanted to listen to radio with truck off, so I didn’t connect it. I connected the yellow hot wire from truck to yellow constant power wire to head unit. Is that wrong?

The amp and sub share the same grounding bolt.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So, I drilled hole into cab floor and attached the ground from the sun and the amp to it.

I attached the yellow run power wire to the yellow head unit wire in diagram, but didn’t connect red wire because I thought it was only for accessory mode. Does the radio run while the truck is on from the red wire?

If you look at the diagram, I thought the red wire was just for when you wanted to listen to radio with truck off, so I didn’t connect it. I connected the yellow hot wire from truck to yellow constant power wire to head unit. Is that wrong?

The amp and sub share the same grounding bolt.
I have Alpines in 2 trucks and a car. On all of them the red wire goes to 12 volt switched, and the yellow goes to 12 volt constant, like the cigarette lighter, just for memory for settings and stations.
All the other aftermarket stereos I've had over the years were the same.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Update: it was the red wire. The head unit didn’t stay on long enough to turn amp and sub on.

Thank you guys for your help.

Has anyone ever used strong velcro to stick amp and sub to back of cab?

Last edited:
Reactions: WFO

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
What wire from the sub? There shouldn't be any wires on the sub that go anywhere but the amp.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mission accomplished!

Now to figure out head unit. I want to move hvac down to bottom and maybe put head unit in middle.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I thought it was going to be also, but a distribution block made it simple.

Check out what I found while hunting for wires under the dash. Lol

Wtf:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm glad I live in the country lololol not saying there aren't meth heads but damn lol

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I thought it was going to be also, but a distribution block made it simple.

Check out what I found while hunting for wires under the dash. Lol

lol… some poor crackhead out there sober with cold feet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag