New from Idaho

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83RustyRed

Reaction score
First Name
sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
5.7 350 HD
Hi there, my name is Sam and this is my 1983 chevy gmc C20. Picked it up 2 weeks ago for 1800$ Bit of a frankenChevy, found 3 different VINs on it, the front end is from an 86 K20. Odometer says 12843, but I'm pretty sure that's rolled over once, which is still barely broke in! It's also the first truck I have ever driven, let alone owned. As soon as I heard it had a 350 with a 700r4 overdrive automatic, I had to have it. 8600 GVWR also means NO EMISSIONS!! :) Engine code M for Heavy Duty 350. What exactly makes it heavy duty? Four bolt main? Not sure what that means.

I've been having a lot of fun getting my friends family and neighbors to come over and teach me about it. I've been in, on, and around old trucks like this my whole life, and the smell of that exhaust compares to nothing else!! Never worked on a vehicle before, but I managed to do the plugs and wires with only a little help in about 45 minutes! I also had to laugh when the guys at meineke told me an intake manifold gasket would run 600$ to do. I said "Gasket?! That's a piece of cork, right? I'll do that in the drive way, thank you very much!" 40$ later I've got new gaskets for the intake and the valve covers.

Gotta love cheap parts. So here's some of the things going on with it, and what I'm trying to figure out.

1. Trying to give it a lot of power up hill, or trying to get to 65 in less than ten minutes makes it stall and cut out. I let off the gas, ease it back on, and it's back to normal. Just doesn't use the guts I know it's got. Thinking maybe dirty gas tanks since it sat for at least 3 months, and who knows how long before that. Already changed the fuel filter, which was DEFINITELY caked!
Which explains why she wouldn't do 35 on the test drive.

Or maybe, with the four barrel quadra jet, that the back two barrels aren't coming open, and it's running too rich when I give it all that gas. I can rev it high as I want in neutral, but under load, it only wants a little bit of gas.
Bartered for another rochester carb, gonna get the kit and diagram and learn how to rebuild a carburetor. Hoping it's the fuel filter, since I did have it up to eighty for 20-30 mins without stalling after changing that first one, and then since then I can barely maintain 65-70 in a head wind.

I also get what we call the "WOM WOMS" at about 35, weird rhythmic vibrations from the right front. Wheel bearings?? Viscous converter clutch??

Also, there's a ton of stuff disconnected under there, most of which I'm told is emissions crap. Which I would love to remove, so I can have extra room to crawl around in that engine compartment.
So other than that, I found a Demon intake for 25$, want to get headers (?) and chrome dual exhausts to replace the rusty ones that look like blown off shotgun barrels. Still sounds mean! Also need to figure out oil and transmission coolers for when I get to towing. So here's the pics, and it's good to be here! :)

Sam

Attachments

• Photo-0060.jpg
    Photo-0060.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Photo-0061.jpg
    Photo-0061.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Photo-0062.jpg
    Photo-0062.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Photo-0064.jpg
    Photo-0064.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 150
  • truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 157

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Welcome man, great intro! Hope you enjoy your stay, great, knowledgeable bunch a fellas here glad to help anybody and still learn as we go. :)

83RustyRed

Reaction score
First Name
sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
5.7 350 HD
Thanks! Yup, lots of stuff to learn!

oopsman_09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic c1500
Engine Size
Another boise square to add to the list. Yay Im not alone.

83RustyRed

Reaction score
First Name
sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
5.7 350 HD
Awesome!! I'm actually in Garden City. I'm always down to smoke if ya got tools,

oopsman_09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic c1500
Engine Size
i got tools but they are currently at work lol

yenner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome from another FNG (is that allowed) and don't fret. Peeps here are helpful. I literally got great help/parts right off the bat after signing up. These here be good peeps. :)

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome!

Sounds like your having fuel issues alright, and it sounds like the carb but before you pull it off make sure that you have your PCV valve connected. Mine ran about the same way when it was un connected. If you decide to rebuild your carb I highly suggest picking up this book, http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify-Rochester-Quadrajet-Carburetors/dp/1932494189

I went balls deep in my rebuild and it worked I guess but there was alot more I could have done while it was apart had I read this book.

83RustyRed

Reaction score
First Name
sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
5.7 350 HD
Thanks irishman! The PCV valve is literally the first thing that was done to it. I was showing it off to my neighbor and he's so truck crazy, he's got PCV's in his pocket at all times. Stuck it right in there, but I'll make sure it's good. I really think it's the carb because there's a vacuum line going to a diaphragm that works the secondary barrel linkage, and it's not hooked to anything.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Thanks irishman! The PCV valve is literally the first thing that was done to it. I was showing it off to my neighbor and he's so truck crazy, he's got PCV's in his pocket at all times. Stuck it right in there, but I'll make sure it's good. I really think it's the carb because there's a vacuum line going to a diaphragm that works the secondary barrel linkage, and it's not hooked to anything.

If its the vacuum pod I am thinking of, without vacuum the vacuum pod will let the secondaries open before they are supposed to. Sorry, I will try and explain it a little better.... when the pod has vacuum from the port on the carb the secondaries are being held shut, the top air valve flap thing. When you step on the throttle and the pod loses vacuum it will release the linkage and let the secondary flap open depending on where the vacuum is going in the engine.

The secondaries on these carbs are completely vacuum operated, way different than like the Edelbrock ones that are mechanical. If anything that pod not being hooked up would cause the truck to flood, if you dont see any black smoke I would guess something inside is blocked and not letting fuel go to the right places.

If you decide to rebuild it in the near future and dont get that book let me know and I can give you some of the stuff I highlighted from reading it recently that will help you avoid some of the stupid stuff I did during my rebuild.

Another option I am looking into is getting my little shop area set up for carb rebuilds, im thinking friends on the forum could ship me the carb and I can give it my best shot at a rebuild for just the cost of shipping and a kit.

83RustyRed

Reaction score
First Name
sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
5.7 350 HD
Ah ok, that makes sense! No black smoke, just another fuel filter cloggin up, i wot. I'm not sure if the secondaries are open all the time, or what, but would that be a bad thing? using more gas maybe..Got a job a few days ago, just waitin on the first paycheck to get the carb kit and fuel filters, also the stuff for transmission/coolant/oil change, my coolant is pretty brown from all the oil in it. which is the intake manifold gasket, correct? so have to flush the coolant after that and change the oil? just wanna do the tranny because it's that time, for the fluid and filter. I bet you could make a lot of friends rebuildin carbs for cost! If it fits, it ships, lol..

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size