New '83 P30 Food Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
LOL

No, I was just going to replace the choke thermo and be done with it. I'm running out of money and need to still fix the refrigerator ($3-4K) and do some more gas work. I have a few other emissions things to hook up and hopefully after that point I can afford to buy more parts for the engine. But only after I get it to pass emissions and get it registered.

I was thinking about that. But at this point it's cost prohibitive. Next time.
the heads up to 86 had parimeter bolts on the valve covers.
Is a center bolt head unique? What's the deal with that? Sorry, I still don't know a whole lot about these trucks.
it means the heads on your engine are from an 87 and later truck.

Vic Cardenas

Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
Oh, is there some type of stamping on the heads so I can figure out what specific heads they are in case of a later rebuild or head gasket incident, etc...?

Vic Cardenas

Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
Ok, so looks like I do need a carb rebuild after all. I was thinking about ordering this here...

http://www.smicarburetor.com/products/sfID1/14/sfID2/9/sfID3/106/productID/61

Does that look like a good choice for my application? Any other advice?

How does that work with the core? I order this and $349.00 is the price with core? Or, do I get more money back for sending in a core? I ask this because I might just do it locally at a place that "guarantees I'll pass emissions" for about the same price.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok, so looks like I do need a carb rebuild after all. I was thinking about ordering this here...

http://www.smicarburetor.com/products/sfID1/14/sfID2/9/sfID3/106/productID/61

Does that look like a good choice for my application? Any other advice?

How does that work with the core? I order this and $349.00 is the price with core? Or, do I get more money back for sending in a core? I ask this because I might just do it locally at a place that "guarantees I'll pass emissions" for about the same price.

I would suggest calling them, and telling Sean exactly what you have. I personally think that 800cfm is a bit much for an otherwise stock engine. Also, if you could pull one of the valve covers, and find out what the part number is on the head to determine exactly what engine you have, that would help too. The engine thats in it now, is not what it came with in 83.
Edit-can you snap a pick of the back of the heads? And, there should be a part number on the engine block, just below the intake manifold, on the back of the engine. that way, you dont have to pull a valve cover...post em up, and we can tell you exactly what you have, so you can better inform SMI of what you need.

Last edited:

Vic Cardenas

Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

I can't tell if that one is a 4 or 5 digit #. Is that one you need? Or just the long one? If so, I could clean it up a little more but it looks like that last one is ground off.

The reason I picked that 800cfm one is because it says that one is for 3/4 to 1 ton trucks. Plus, it says "Primary Booster designed to provide increased MPG for heavier- less aerodynamic vehicles that are used for towing and or carrying heavy loads."

I'll call to make sure.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok, cool...can you get a pic of one of the cylinder head backs? I am looking for 2 virtical marks to make sure you have a truck engine, and not an L98 or caprice cop car engine.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What year is this truck again? If I see that date code rigth, that is a B243. Woulld mean manufacture of the block was February 24, 1993. Really means nothing, but can help to identify if its the original motor to the truck. If the truck mfr date was like March thru May of 93, and a 93 model, then I'd assume original motor. But I know it's not, you're here cuz it falls in the years of squares now that I recall.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
What year is this truck again? If I see that date code rigth, that is a B243. Woulld mean manufacture of the block was February 24, 1993. Really means nothing, but can help to identify if its the original motor to the truck. If the truck mfr date was like March thru May of 93, and a 93 model, then I'd assume original motor. But I know it's not, you're here cuz it falls in the years of squares now that I recall.
The truck is an 83.
the engine has centerbolt heads on it, and the only cast iron q-jet manifold that I am aware of for later heads is from the 87 caprice police package that had the cc q-jet(buddy had one, sweet ride..especially at 140mph)
the manifold could be modified as well.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
He just might be giving a new name to FAST Food !!! :roflbow:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
He just might be giving a new name to FAST Food !!! :roflbow:

Hehe...at any rate, I think 750cfm would be better for a 350, 800cfm for big blocks.
Sean may recommend it though, when you tell him its a p30.

Last edited:

Vic Cardenas

Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
Ok, I'll clean up the back of the heads too and get that pic...
Googling the 14093638 # says it's a block from 86-94 but not much else I can find. So yes, the mfg date of 93 would make sense, and the newer heads.

Vic Cardenas

Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
Jim: It does have those two vertical "slashes" on the back of the heads. Do you need a pic?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
TBI heads. That's pretty much all you can tell by those casting marks.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
TBI heads. That's pretty much all you can tell by those casting marks.

Thats all we needed. Tell SMI carbs that you have an 87-95 truck 350 long block.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody