New '82 GMC Shortbed Owner in VA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellowbrick

Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
New to the forum and to trucks in general! I had never really been all that interested in trucks until I decided that I could no longer go without one for work I've been doing. At that point, I figured if I was going to buy a truck I might as well find something I liked looking at and driving. After some research I settled on the late 70's to late 80's Chevy/GMC trucks because I love the style and parts seem to be everywhere and affordable.

I spent the past several weeks stalking Craigslist and Ebay and eventually found the truck I bought this morning for within my $2000 budget. It's a very yellow 1982 GMC Sierra 1500 Shortbed (hopefully the photo uploads) with 122k miles on it.

A few rust spots that have been repaired and sprayed and two spots that require some metal work to make disappear (cab corner and bottom corner of driver's door) but all in all, pretty good shape. First acquisition will be a complete cab seal kit because they are all dry rotted and very sad.

Along with the truck came an amazing folder of receipts from 2008 back through 1990, along with all of the manuals for the new parts and the original window sticker. Turns out it was beefed up at the factory with "HD" springs, suspension and brakes and was purchased new as a utility truck for an electricity co-op here in VA in the early 80's. The interior is barebones - no headliner (looks like it came that way from the factory), and only rubber mats instead of carpet, which is great when I'm covered in mud.

It's since had a motor rebuild and some modifications:

305 V8
Ported & Polished
Complete valve job
Erson cam
Eidelbrock 600cfm 4barrel
Eidelbrock cam gears
All new pumps (water, oil, fuel), alternator - pretty much everything attached to the motor.
Hooker comp headers
Custom exhaust
Posi rear and it came with both a 275 (installed) and a 355

The result is a pretty loud, bright yellow, stout and hilariously fun to drive truck that I'm very happy with and plan on keeping for a while. The work I do is for a non-profit that starts and manages small farms in urban areas, so I'd eventually like to drop a diesel into the truck and cook our own bio, but not before I have my fun with the 305.

Question: It had special paint per the sticker and after I have some rust repaired I'd like to respray it the factory color. The sticker says: 4001 AA Special Paint-SING. Is there a way to figure out exactly what color that is?

Thanks for reading! I'm looking forward to scouring this forum for more information on these trucks.

yellowbrick

Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That's a good lookin hornet you scored there! Welcome to the forum! I'm sure someone will be able to help you with that paint code question, and I like the idea of a grease-burner, tossed the idea around myself! :waytogo:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Probably the only way to get a paint code is to find some of the original paint somewhere on the body and just match it up. Or is that yellow color the original paint?

Oh and welcome! Nice truck too!

yellowbrick

Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Probably the only way to get a paint code is to find some of the original paint somewhere on the body and just match it up. Or is that yellow color the original paint?

Oh and welcome! Nice truck too!

Thanks! I'm told the yellow color is indeed original, and I haven't found any other colors underneath it in the blemished/rusted areas. I figured that I was going to have to have it matched anyway, until I saw it on the original window sticker. Thought there might be a chance that those custom paint options are in a document somewhere.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It could be in a paint chip book somewhere, if it was ordered by a large company that ordered countless trucks in that yellow color. It doesn't look too far off from the standard yellow paint though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd imagine the special paint is from the Co Op that originally bought the truck new. Are they local? Is that still their color? I'd call the Co Op if still there and ask them about the paint color.

BTW, Welcome to GMSB !!!

buRRp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Welcome to GMSB. Good looking truck.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Welcome from another VA guy. I can get all the gmsquarebody paint chips for $80 from a guy on ebay.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
WhyTF, would someone pay $80 for paint chips? Also note, I doubt you'll get his special paint chip being it was company painted vechile originally. Just like here, I've seen OG&E retired squares that are OEM OG&E Orange and I much doubt that is a color you'd find. They are fleet vehicle special colors, not OEM special colors. As bucket said, best to get a paint code scanner and shoot it in a door jamb or somewhere where it's been protected from the weather, sun and elements. For $80 he could buy a gallon of single stage and paint the whole truck. :rofl:

yellowbrick

Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Is there any consensus on a preferred repair manual brand? I used to be involved in the Volkswagen scene and the "Bentley" manuals were widely regarded as the bible for those vehicles.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Can't beat a factory service manual. The Haynes and Chilton's manuals are just basic guides for the most part.

clkelley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
6.6L
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Latest posts