Need to replace heater,AC controls...help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cooter55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Placitas, New Mexico...not really New...not really
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
1973, 1987
Truck Model
C20, R10
Engine Size
454FI, 350
Ok...I have an orphan '73 C20 and I need to replace the heater/AC dash controls. None of the parts sellers have one for a '73. Seems that this model year used a lot of one year only orphan parts. Does anyone know if any later years will work in a '73?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ok...I have an orphan '73 C20 and I need to replace the heater/AC dash controls. None of the parts sellers have one for a '73. Seems that this model year used a lot of one year only orphan parts. Does anyone know if any later years will work in a '73?

Just the controls that bolt to that dash or the whole harness and cable and everything?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Just the actual switch. Harness is good. Something came loose in the switch and it won't move anymore and it's not the cable binding.

Specifically which switch? The fan speed switch? The hot cold lever or the vent direct lever?

Also, is this truck factory equipped with A/C controls or just heat and defrost?

cooter55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
1973, 1987
Truck Model
C20, R10
Engine Size
454FI, 350
Specifically which switch? The fan speed switch? The hot cold lever or the vent direct lever?

Also, is this truck factory equipped with A/C controls or just heat and defrost?

Temperature lever is binding. Fan speed is ok and vaccuum porting lever(air direction selector) is OK. Truck was a factory AC truck

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Temperature lever is binding. Fan speed is ok and vaccuum porting lever(air direction selector) is OK. Truck was a factory AC truck

Check the cable mounting bolt on the top of the A/C housing behind the glove box to make sure the mounting bolt didn't work loose.

You must be registered for see images

cooter55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
1973, 1987
Truck Model
C20, R10
Engine Size
454FI, 350
89Burb...I appreciate your attempts to troubleshoot. I've gone through it all and there is a mechanical problem in the lever system in the temp control module. It's binding up badly and an "L" shaped piece fell out. My simple question is...will a later year controller work, and if so what years?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I am not sure if there is a year difference or not. Can you get to the junkyard to get your hands on one and try it?

cooter55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
1973, 1987
Truck Model
C20, R10
Engine Size
454FI, 350
I am not sure if there is a year difference or not. Can you get to the junkyard to get your hands on one and try it?

Went to the U-Pull-It '73 controls are different from later years. Electrical and vacuum connections are very different. Found a good unit out of another '73 so current issue is resolved.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Went to the U-Pull-It '73 controls are different from later years. Electrical and vacuum connections are very different. Found a good unit out of another '73 so current issue is resolved.

I was wondering how you were doing with this. So there is a difference then? Would you mind getting us some pics of the one you bought front and top and back? And a good pic of the vacuum harness that plugs onto the back of it so we can see the colors of the hoses?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jersagfast