need someone to make the decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
So ive been really stressed out lately, and doing tons of research and i just cant find what im looking for,
so in your guys opinion, should i buy a molded dash, or just buy a brand new one its 150 vs like 500, so i dont know, if a molded dash will look fine id probaly just go with that, or i might even get creative, and fiberglass over the old one i dont know yet.
Thanks guys, heres to a long night.:drink_nl:

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I would buy the $500 oem if you want the oem look, all the other imposters look and fit like crap from what Ive read on the forums.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There`s a thread in here,somewheres about redoing the original dash and how creative some people have got with their old dash units.
Do a search in this forum and You should find all kinds of information on the matter.
If I was doing a "Complete Restoration" I would go with the new 500 dollar unit.
Thats just Me though.

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
There`s a thread in here,somewheres about redoing the original dash and how creative some people have got with their old dash units.
Do a search in this forum and You should find all kinds of information on the matter.
If I was doing a "Complete Restoration" I would go with the new 500 dollar unit.
Thats just Me though.

Alright thank you for the input. Any idea what that thread might be called?

notverrysmart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
EJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
This is a vid I shot of my buddies 305 firebird with a single thrush glasspack with no cats. Should give you an idea of the sound the audio is pretty close to how it really sounded. It didn't start snapping and snarling till 3000rpm IIRC.
You must be registered for see images attach

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I watched ebay for a couple of months and finally a nos dash pad came on with a buy-it-now price of around $300.

@ notverrysmart...wrong thread.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I "repaired" an extra junk dash pad I had with expanding foam and epoxy. Then I sprayed bedliner over the whole thing and top coated that with Krylon Fusion satin black. It was kind of a learning process to see what would work and what wouldn't. I tried a few other things first on it that turned out poorly, so it isn't perfect, but I'm happy with it for my daily driver.

I've been meaning to do a write-up on it, but I've been swamped at work so I haven't gotten around to it yet. If I get off at a decent time today, I'll try and take some pics tonight for ya.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I watched ebay for a couple of months and finally a nos dash pad came on with a buy-it-now price of around $300.

@ notverrysmart...wrong thread.

^^^this.....will take patience but it'll be worth it!

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

87chevy

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
i would fiberglass the one you have its alot of work but when it,s done it will be a one of a kind and thats worth it to have a dash like no other

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
i would fiberglass the one you have its alot of work but when it,s done it will be a one of a kind and thats worth it to have a dash like no other

Then what does he do to make the rest of the interior match that theme? You can't just fiberglass the dash and then not do other custom work inside that goes along with it :shrug:

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
I ground down the cracks on mine filled it with black sillicone then spray adhisived a dashtopper to it it looks great cant see anything on it and its nice and flat cost me 40$

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Then what does he do to make the rest of the interior match that theme? You can't just fiberglass the dash and then not do other custom work inside that goes along with it :shrug:

You know i am playing around with the idea of making custom door panels and a custom dash, i think i might play around with it on my silverado first, and just do some basics and ad some speakers. then just kinda take it from there, it is a lot of work but it would pass time that i cant spend working on my fuel problem.:sad72:

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size

Yeah you are right, i have been looking for some "custom" ideas to base the project off of. so far i think i have kind of an idea. i think i might also replace all the "chrome" trim in the truck with checkerplate, sence my buddy is a sheet metal tech and can get me all the checkerplate id need.

notverrysmart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
EJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads