Need help with fuel issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myopicmusician

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
After much searching and googling I couldn't find the answer so I'm asking for help.

Just bought a 1986 with dual tanks. Previous owner had an electric fuel pump (Holley type with bypass) installed after tanks and pressure regulator under the hood (1 in and 2 outs). There is an inline pressure gauge by the edelbrock 600.

The gauge reads 11 lbs which I know is way too high but adjusting the pressure reg had no effect on raising or lowering. The truck was hard to start as you would imagine but didn't smoke and ran like an ape when warm.

Tracing the fuel lines back from the regulator, I realized that the PO had the fuel line from pump running to one of the out ports on the regulator and the other out port to the carb. I'm not sure what line was running to the in of the reg, tracing back it just goes to the tank.

After moving the fuel line from pump to the in of reg and plugging one out and the other to the carb, the reg works and I can dial in 5.5 lbs. the unknown line I capped.
Engine fired right off but is smoking horribly from the exhaust. I noticed that it was quickly overheating. I tried adjusting the air fuel at the carb but did not help. Tried uncapping the unknown line running back to the tank and did not help. No fuel comes out of this line either.

What gives? Any thoughts as to what this line is? Vent? Return?
I thought it would run better this way but I'm thinking of going back to the POs setup. Overflowing the carb and horrible gas mileage but it was driveable.

Help!

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
If there's no fuel probably a vent. What type of smoke? Black white blue? I would go to a manual fuel pump before I went to the old setup. Might as well fix it. Overheating generally means lean. Not enough volume. I'm assuming this was an inline pump?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gbow

Reaction score
First Name
Gregory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 vortec
I would think if it is a SBC you might be a little low on fuel pressure. From my experience they like about 7psi. Bump it up a bit and see how she runs.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Myopicmusician

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies, guys.
Turns out to be head gasket. It was the timing of it happening at the same time that threw me off. Guess I'll be pulling those World Product heads.

Wildjoe330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
wildjoe330
Truck Year
Itbp
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
After putting the factory tank back on, it was off for a while, Looks like I am having issues of factory passengers side tank overflowing 3 lines on the tank 3 on the fuel pump one on the add on custom auxiliary tank. I replaced my switch over valve a year or two ago so I was thinking that it should be ok, and we know it could have gone bad so I might just try to bypass it for a while to use some fuel and see what is does. Could be anything but not what was suspected. It's good to have you guys here for some help talk.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus