Need help identifying a big block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Bextreme04...no it's 100% a 9. I've looked at it with a magnifying glass, took an imprint with silly putty, used paper and a pencil and rubbed the numbers on and it's definitely a 9. I'd post a picture of it but I can't seem to post any pictures on this site. Maybe it's got restrictions on new members or something

There's no restrictions for new members. When posting, click on the Upload a File button.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Bextreme04...I've thought about doing the vortec heads and I've even got a decent set I've found for pretty cheap. But that damn intake that goes to vortec heads and a TBI unit is to darn expensive!!

There is a difference between vortec and non-vortec bolt patterns for small blocks. There is no such difference for the Big Blocks. The switch from peanut port to Vortec heads should be a direct swap. The intake and TBI setup will swap right over to the vortec heads with no additional changes.

Mike Harrington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
454 7.4
So the intake bolts on the vortec big block are not straight up and down like the SBC? Interesting

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So the intake bolts on the vortec big block are not straight up and down like the SBC? Interesting

Nope, the pattern is the same.

The GM big block didn't get drastic changes like that until the LS-style 8.1 liter.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The one thing to look out for with the Vortec heads is there is no central heat riser passage on the heads. So if you are using a carb intake, make sure it has an electric choke because there is nothing to heat up a mechanical choke. Other than that, the coolant passages are the only difference. I would recommend different springs and removing the valve rotators... rotator removal shims are cheap, but BBC valve springs can be pricey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike