Need advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Hi everyone,

I am re-caming my 78 GMC, Its all about to go back together.

When re-installing the balancer, how do I stop the enging from turning over as I tighten/slide the balancer on without the enging turning with it? The heads are on, so...

I bought a nice install tool so not to bugger up or strip the threads.. some have told me to pound on, but this does damage to the thrust bearing right?

I have also been told to not use a piston stop for this.. What are your thoughts here?

Greatly appreciated..

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hi everyone,

I am re-caming my 78 GMC, Its all about to go back together.

When re-installing the balancer, how do I stop the enging from turning over as I tighten/slide the balancer on without the enging turning with it? The heads are on, so...

I bought a nice install tool so not to bugger up or strip the threads.. some have told me to pound on, but this does damage to the thrust bearing right?

I have also been told to not use a piston stop for this.. What are your thoughts here?

Greatly appreciated..

You can stuff a piece of rope into the cylinder, and keep it from turning.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If didn't have enough muscle to hold it, then I'd use a longer bolt and slip it in one of the holes in the flexplate, and let it stop on the block. If it's a manual trans, put it in Reverse or Granny 1st with park brake on tight so the truck can't move.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh, and you can always claimp a vise grip real tight to the flywheel/flexplate and let that hit the block as a stop too. This all coming to me now, you can also put 2 of your pully bolts back in the balancer, and use a pry bar off those 2 bolts to hold it by hand, then use your breaker bar and socket on the balancer bolt. This is the most common way I've done it in the past.

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
AHHH! Thanks HotRodPC

I didn't consider the balancer bolts.. I'll give that a go.
Its an automatic, I believe there is an inspection cover I can remove to get access to flex plate? then clamp it down? I am still learning about Chevy's.

Dave

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, you're have to remove the inspection cover if it comes to that, but I think the balancer bolt trick will work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris