My pitman arm has a lot of wear where the tie rod goes in....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And even with a brand new Moog and AC delco TR, the threads are past the pitman arm hole and the nut bottoms out and the TR wobbles up and down about a 1/4 of an inch. I tried looking for a stock style replacement, but all I find are the modified ones for lifted trucks. I don't plan on lifting my truck anytime soon, as I'll be on 33's with trimming. What are my options? I thought about making more threads on the TR, but I'm not sure if it will cause the body of the TR to hit the pitman arm. I also thought about washers between the TR and the pitman arm, but I wonder if it'll cause the TR to not operate as it should and possibly rip the boot.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You keep saying tie rod, do you mean the drag link (steering box to driverside knuckle)? Do you have the right ends? I think drag link ends use a bigger stud than tie rods. Also, what does the hole in the pitman arm look like? If it's worn out and oversized, it "should" be obvious that it's worn out.

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I apologize, I meant drag link. Yes the pitman arm has a lot of wear, and it's obvious.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Should be able to find a stock replacement at O'Reilly, Autozone, or Rock Auto really easily.

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
None of those have a STOCK replacement, it's weird. Only for lifted trucks.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I wonder how it compares to a Pitman arm from a C10... might check into that...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It won't be available at a parts store because it's not a wear item. Well, not when parts are installed correctly at least. Junkyard or craigslist is probably the best bet.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
2 wheel drive's are different. if yours is worn you need a new one or a good used one. there is no way around this, don't try to mickey mouse this one. find a guy with a lifted truck and get his old one. highdesertranger

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah I bought it two months ago, and I replaced the steering components last week, and I noticed it while working on it. I'll keep my eyes open for one. It sucks, this is the one thing that's holding me back from getting the truck aligned and the new tires and rims put on.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Get 200 feet of extention cord together and a sazall go to a scrap yard plug is and cut the steering knuckle out its 3 cuts one at pitman arm and top and bottom ball joint push them out when you get home
It will take you less than an hour

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Isn't it hardened steel? I like your idea in theory, but I don't think I'll have enough blades to do that. I do have access to a battery powered snap on sawzall, and I could buy blades. I'll keep that in mind if I can't find one on CL or online.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I thought you needed a pitman arm. a pitman arm is on the steering box. a steering arm is on the knuckle. I would like to see someone cut a ball joint with a sazall. highdesertranger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels