My DD Needed work...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
My DD is a 97 ranger that I bought new back in 98. It has been a very reliable truck and hasn't required much in the way of extra maintenance. I've done a few under the hood projects on various vehicles over the years but I hadn't done any suspension work before. I decided that it was time to put new shocks on it and today was the day. I just did the cheap NAPA shocks and walked out of the store (into the shop) for less than $70 for all 4.

My son and I got the truck up on the hoist and we decided to start with the front. That was a bit frustrating but not difficult. That rusted out stud was just all kinds of fun. The rears were much simpler and only took about 20 minutes. Job completed we cleaned up our mess, closed up the shop and went for a drive.

HOLY ****!!! I didn't have a clue what I was missing. I no longer feel every pine needle in the road. The truck doesn't lean badly when I turn. I don't get tossed all over while driving.

This is the first time I have driven a vehicle that went from tired to new shocks. I'm sorry I waited this long to do it but glad it is done. I would run out and get it done on my Chev but shocks are only a small part of what I would have to do with that suspension.

Glad I got the experience and I'm glad I got it done. It was a good day.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Awesome! My shocks on my 3/4 ton are all kinds of old, and need changing. I just have too many irons in the fire.

Isn't it great when an simple change gives such great results?

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
It does help when you get parts with an employee discount. Set of 4 for under $70. It was also a nice to build confidence with an easy project. I can't wait to do the same thing to my `77. Problem is the whole front end needs suspension work. That is going to cost more than a few bucks to take care of that issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising