My 454 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
After thinking about it, it happened at idle. So it's probably not stressed at all , and it unlocked the slightest press of a pry bar

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Heck, clean it up and use it, you wouldn't believe some of the blocks I've reused, lol.. :eek: :D

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd have the main webs magged, if it passes nothing wrong with it for general usage..

Yep. I'd mag it all but if that's all the damage I'd use it for a stock stroke peanut headed engine.

After thinking about it, it happened at idle. So it's probably not stressed at all , and it unlocked the slightest press of a pry bar

That makes it even better. So if you don't need it, give it to someone willing to use it. If it's standard bore, someone who has a wore out .020 - .040 overbored engine can use their overbore pistons and crank, have that one magged and bored to match their pistons and run it.

I had a recent scare this past winter with very low antifreeze in my rebuilt overbored engine. Had it cracked my block, this block here would have been the hot ticket to patch it up provided the mag turned out good.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yep. I'd mag it all but if that's all the damage I'd use it for a stock stroke peanut headed engine.
There ain't nothing wrong with that block, I'd build a 468 with 781 heads for the street with that..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There ain't nothing wrong with that block, I'd build a 468 with 781 heads for the street with that..

I'd imagine it could be done. I've seen quite a bit taken out of lower ends of cylinders to clearance the block for stroker crank throws.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd imagine it could be done. I've seen quite a bit taken out of lower ends of cylinders to clearance the block for stroker crank throws.
Might be just the pic, but it looks to me like too much is gone for a stroker though???..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Might be just the pic, but it looks to me like too much is gone for a stroker though???..

I was thinking it might be. As long as the rings have a bit of safety net and don't drop to low to fall out and the skirts don't allow a rock. Pretty sure it would safely do a standard stroke though without anything to worry about.

One way to tell, take 2 of the good rods and pistons without rings, bolt them on and rotate the crank to see how low they drop.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I was thinking it might be. As long as the rings have a bit of safety net and don't drop to low to fall out and the skirts don't allow a rock. Pretty sure it would safely do a standard stroke though without anything to worry about.
Should be plenty there for a stock stroke.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Should be plenty there for a stock stroke.

I think so too. I just noticed in the pics, that one rod is stamped 1 and 1. That tells me, it's been rebuilt before. Maybe just rerung and bearinged. Might had a little something something to do why it went **** up too.

I have done rerung and bearing jobs before when the bore was withing spec, but I still plastigauged ALL the journals.

When I went through the expense of a bore and pistons, you can bet I had the crank mic'ed and either polished and or turned. And ALWAYS had the rods reconned. Shot peened, magged, checked for twist, and big end resized. It's cheap insurance considering the cost of building an engine when #1 failure for destroying a rebuild is what? A hinged rod or at least a rod knock. It's not cool playing peek a boo with your con rods out the side or bottom of a pan.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'd wanna see the magnaflux and or dye pen test results.

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think so too. I just noticed in the pics, that one rod is stamped 1 and 1. That tells me, it's been rebuilt before. Maybe just rerung and bearinged. Might had a little something something to do why it went **** up too.

I have done rerung and bearing jobs before when the bore was withing spec, but I still plastigauged ALL the journals.

When I went through the expense of a bore and pistons, you can bet I had the crank mic'ed and either polished and or turned. And ALWAYS had the rods reconned. Shot peened, magged, checked for twist, and big end resized. It's cheap insurance considering the cost of building an engine when #1 failure for destroying a rebuild is what? A hinged rod or at least a rod knock. It's not cool playing peek a boo with your con rods out the side or bottom of a pan.
It was built in the 80's sometime, and it looks like. One of the rod nuts just backed out.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I think so too. I just noticed in the pics, that one rod is stamped 1 and 1. That tells me, it's been rebuilt before.
Be a real rare thing today to find any of this old **** that hasn't been rebuilt at least once yet, lol..

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It was built in the 80's sometime, and it looks like. One of the rod nuts just backed out.

Either it wasn't torqued right or the bolt was starting to stretch, either way it was inevitable.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
That's how my origanal motor died, nut backed off a connecting rod and my piston shattered. But I was going quite fast when it happened, probably 90-100 mph. The rod put a nice crack in my bore and that was that. My connecting rods were numbered and oil pickup welded on so I knew it was rebuilt. I figured whoever did it botched the job. And damn did I make a smoke show, scared the **** outta the guy behind me. Pulled over and had coolant dumping out of the dipstick hole. That was a bad day.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've had them to where I just walked away with the valve covers, lol

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name