Muncie 4 speed grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donsanders97

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 CID
Have a Muncie 4 speed transmission. Has worked wonderfully up until recently.

Developed a clunk in acceleration that I initially thought was the U-joints so I changed them and the carrier bearing out. Put the driveline back in and clunk persisted. However when I crawled back underneath I notice a bolt on the transmission mount had backed way out. So I tightened it up, problems solved or so I thought.

It actually got much worse. Now there is a grinding sound in every gear when I let off the clutch and put power to the transmission. Haven’t had time to crawl back under and get a better look but any tips on where to start would be appreciated.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
You K.I.S. ? Check the lube level in the Muncie by chance? How about lube level in diff? Lift the pumpkin and see how quickly the opposite wheel turns - maybe a bit of preemptive playing the gears of the diffs

geardaddy

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
several
Engine Size
Have a Muncie 4 speed transmission. Has worked wonderfully up until recently.

Developed a clunk in acceleration that I initially thought was the U-joints so I changed them and the carrier bearing out. Put the driveline back in and clunk persisted. However when I crawled back underneath I notice a bolt on the transmission mount had backed way out. So I tightened it up, problems solved or so I thought.

It actually got much worse. Now there is a grinding sound in every gear when I let off the clutch and put power to the transmission. Haven’t had time to crawl back under and get a better look but any tips on where to start would be appreciated.
pull the pto cover and see if 3rd gear on the cluster is moviing around. it is only held in place with a snap ring unless updated.. very common problem....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL