Multi air system.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Just thought I would share something that blew my mind.

My wife got a Fiat and at the dealer they kept mentioning some kind of new revolutionary technology called "Multi air". I never really thought twice about it figuring it was some emmissions foo foo ******** until my wife mentioned the other night it controls intake valves and eliminates the need for a throttle body. At this point I had a WTF look on my face and was googling like crazy.

I had to read the paragraphs a few times to completely understand it, once it clicked I was floored.

To explain how it work most simply just imagine a clutch master and slave cylinder with a solenoid between them. The master cylinder is the lifter that rides on the cam lobe and the slave cylinder opens the the valve with hydraulic pressure when the solenoid opens. Its been done before but Fiat engineers simplified it.

Now just imagine how you can use this for in the hot rod world, think about cam selection in engine builds. Your cam determines how nasty you can get with power, to much cam and its horrible to drive on the street. This could be the next big thing after fuel injection!

By far the most exciting thing about this is what the aftermarket could do with this technology. With valves opening by a electronic solenoid you could have the most broad power band ever. Imagine a big block chevy that builds horspower like it has the most un streetable cam and aggressive lobe profile money can buy and also has a low end grunt profile that lets it idle like a stock cam. It could eliminate all the mechanical valve train parts required for a bad ass valve train that still fail or limit power.

This could take engine tuning to an entire new level. A stock engine with the system could have HUGE capabilities with just a tune. What do you guys think?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Just thought I would share something that blew my mind.

My wife got a Fiat and at the dealer they kept mentioning some kind of new revolutionary technology called "Multi air". I never really thought twice about it figuring it was some emmissions foo foo ******** until my wife mentioned the other night it controls intake valves and eliminates the need for a throttle body. At this point I had a WTF look on my face and was googling like crazy.

I had to read the paragraphs a few times to completely understand it, once it clicked I was floored.

To explain how it work most simply just imagine a clutch master and slave cylinder with a solenoid between them. The master cylinder is the lifter that rides on the cam lobe and the slave cylinder opens the the valve with hydraulic pressure when the solenoid opens. Its been done before but Fiat engineers simplified it.

Now just imagine how you can use this for in the hot rod world, think about cam selection in engine builds. Your cam determines how nasty you can get with power, to much cam and its horrible to drive on the street. This could be the next big thing after fuel injection!

By far the most exciting thing about this is what the aftermarket could do with this technology. With valves opening by a electronic solenoid you could have the most broad power band ever. Imagine a big block chevy that builds horspower like it has the most un streetable cam and aggressive lobe profile money can buy and also has a low end grunt profile that lets it idle like a stock cam. It could eliminate all the mechanical valve train parts required for a bad ass valve train that still fail or limit power.

This could take engine tuning to an entire new level. A stock engine with the system could have HUGE capabilities with just a tune. What do you guys think?

BMW is doing that too. Our auto makers are so far behind, its not funny.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
someone once said, "don't put all your eggs in one basket"....

your entire engine depends on ONE solenoid.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

No different than a diesel with one solenoid, namely the fuel solenoid. I would rather have one solenoid, than 24.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

And how easy would it be to change a solenoid if it ***** out?

It wont be a single one either, I am thinking one solenoid per lifter/rocker. That would make sense.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I remember seeing an all electric valvetrain some time ago....no cam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade