Mufflers - need input/advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm putting a dual exhaust system on soon, going with a manifold back system with pipes behind the wheels (not out the back).

I'm looking for a good muffler, I want something with a little more sound than a stock quiet muffler, but I dont want something that will be droning and driving me nuts going down the road.

I've done a lot of searching and listening to youtube, but I'm more confused now than I was before. Looks like a big magnaflow could be a good choice or flowmaster 50s.

Anyone have some input on this?

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I prefer the magnaflows over other things I've heard up to this point. It was fairly drony until I put the Pypes system with the x pipe... It's a bit more quiet and tolerable, but I don't know how much until I get the bed back on.

A still more quiet alternative would be a Turbo style muffler...

DEERE G

Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
None yet
Truck Model
Soon
Engine Size
Looking
I've put MagnaFlows on my last two trucks. Both were 6.0's.
01' 3500 and a 07' Vortec Max. I really like sound.
I had Flowmaster RV muffler ( I think that's what they called it) on the 01' Silverado Dually with the 6.0. The drone while pulling a gooseneck with a tractor on it would drive me crazy.

Just my $.02

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Anyone here running a turbo muffler? I watched some youtube stuff for them, they seemed pretty loud?

Also - DEERE G - I have a 1950 JD G at home, I assume you have something simliar based on your name.

DEERE G

Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
None yet
Truck Model
Soon
Engine Size
Looking
Anyone here running a turbo muffler? I watched some youtube stuff for them, they seemed pretty loud?

Also - DEERE G - I have a 1950 JD G at home, I assume you have something simliar based on your name.

I used to have a 51' G, 40' B, and a 54' 70 gas that I restored. G's are by far my favorite two-cylinder. We recently moved to GA. from OH. and I dramatically reduced my garage size. I sold my JD's to a friend before we moved. I'm now playing with Jeeps and looking for a square body truck.

I created my screen name for tractor forums. Now I use it on several different forums. It's easier for me to remember. :)

70 gas I restored...
You must be registered for see images attach

40' B that I had...

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

I have some turbos on my 85 SS, and they are pretty quiet. They wake up a little at full throttle, but they are stock quiet at cruise. I will be looking at upping the volume on the exhaust this year when I start driving it more. More sound can be tolerated quite easily.

edit: My personal opinion is that youtube can be a lesson in futility when listening to exhaust. There are so many factors that can change how it sounds, and all the different recording and playback devices that are used put there own spin on sound. Find a local car you like the sound of in person and ask the person about it. I am sure they will be happy to tell you about it.

Last edited:

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That 70 is beautiful!

This is the only picture I could find of my G

picture.php

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I talked to a guy last week that was hauling 3 Jd's down to Tx for a guy. I remember one of them had a 50 on the hood, i didnt really pay much attention to the rest. I know they were all old twins.

Personally i like the B's.

All we have is a late 68 4020

Last edited:

Boone

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My truck has glasspacks from stock manifolds. To me they seem obnoxious loud at times. Though i admit i do like em at other times :D

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
My suburban has a generic turbo muffler on the factory single exhaust. It's stock quiet but does have a deep sound. I'm planning on doing duals with flowmasters one day. I would suggest something like a three chamber Flowmaster, I had them on a 88 Silverado and they sounded great and where fairly quiet in the cab.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Now I am little worried about replacing the exhaust myself. I've read and been told that the studs on the exhaust manifold break easily (mine are super rusted from what I can tell). It looks like a real pain to get them out if they do break, not a lot of room to work in that area.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
If the manifolds don't leak then you could cut the pipe off where it turns under the truck and build the new exhaust from there... I would only suggest doing this if the donut gaskets and pipe are still in good shape tho...

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I have 2" true duals with Glasspacks, and i LOVE THEM, i get lots of compliments to, alot from the older crowd. I get on it everywhere i drive my truck :).

Boone

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Maybe mine have been on so long they're worn out. Dont know if thats possible or not. Dang thangs are loud. I do know that. Ive pissed people off beside me on the hiway. Without even tryin lol.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Maybe mine have been on so long they're worn out. Dont know if thats possible or not. Dang thangs are loud. I do know that. Ive pissed people off beside me on the hiway. Without even tryin lol.

Ohhh , it's possible , when all the packing is gone they sound like a destruction derby car. I just tried the moroso spiral flow's and they sound bad ass , but you have to like loud and deep . Have them on 2 1/2" pipe on a 400 mouse with heddman header's and I like them way better than flowmaster's. I personally do not like the sound of manifolds with any muffler , header's are the way to go in my book , but you have to buy higher dollar one's to avoid problems.All my square's have either doug thorley's or heddman elite , ceramic coated , never a problem one.And I think now they will all have moroso muffler's in the near future.

I am going to have my boy get a video of our blazer they are on as soon as we have the time , even though it's hard to tell the true sound from a video. We went just over the back axle with 3" chrome tips. Mean , Mean , Mean.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP