Mufflers - need input/advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Classic suburban
Engine Size
I have headers and a true 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust with flowmaster 40 series and 4inch tips exiting 45* behind rear tire. Sounds amazing. Similar to the late 60's early 70's muscle cars and that's what I wanted because I love the deep throaty sound. It is slightly droney at 2,000rpm but all mufflers will drone. It goes away a little after 2,000. A buddy of mine has Thrush Welded on his 86 with the same exhaust set up on it and it's slightly quieter than mine but still has the tiny bit of drone. His mufflers where half the price of mine so maybe that's the route you want to take but make sure whichever muffler you use make sure it's the furthest away from the manifold and the furthest away from the tip as possible. Put it in factory spot if able to. To close to the manifold and it will drone faster in the rpm band and will stay droned longer. If near the tips it will gargle and pop more. And try to only use 2 1/2 inch pipe. Small blocks and just about all big blocks LOVE them. That's experience I have in building classic cars and stuff over the years with family and friends. But everyone has their own flavor of exhaust.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have headers and a true 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust with flowmaster 40 series and 4inch tips exiting 45* behind rear tire. Sounds amazing. Similar to the late 60's early 70's muscle cars and that's what I wanted because I love the deep throaty sound. It is slightly droney at 2,000rpm but all mufflers will drone. It goes away a little after 2,000. A buddy of mine has Thrush Welded on his 86 with the same exhaust set up on it and it's slightly quieter than mine but still has the tiny bit of drone. His mufflers where half the price of mine so maybe that's the route you want to take but make sure whichever muffler you use make sure it's the furthest away from the manifold and the furthest away from the tip as possible. Put it in factory spot if able to. To close to the manifold and it will drone faster in the rpm band and will stay droned longer. If near the tips it will gargle and pop more. And try to only use 2 1/2 inch pipe. Small blocks and just about all big blocks LOVE them. That's experience I have in building classic cars and stuff over the years with family and friends. But everyone has their own flavor of exhaust.
Get 2 2.25" pipes, about 20" long, weld a cap on one end, and tee them(weld) into the tailpipes after the mufflers somewhere....this should squish a lot of that 2k drone.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Maybe mine have been on so long they're worn out. Dont know if thats possible or not. Dang thangs are loud. I do know that. Ive pissed people off beside me on the hiway. Without even tryin lol.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

mine have been on the truck since 89. I can confirm they are empty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP