motor question 6.2 and 6.5 frankenstien motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89~burb

Reaction score
First Name
clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
r2500
Engine Size
6.2l banks sidewinder
:sorry: i know this may sound a little stupid but ive come across a few magazine articles about some gm guys mix matching parts from 6.5s and 6.2 motors and made sick power and reliable motors from different parts of both engines. im looking to do just this to my 89 burb. she has a j code 6.2 motor in her with a banks sidewinder turbo kit and nothing else done to her... timing has already been advanced and power screw has been turned up... i did a nv4500 swap bank in january and since then ive moved across the country and towed a 13000 pound trailer. after moving and settling in i noticed a loss of power and alot more white/grey blue smoke. she still rolls coal when i get on it though. i want to do a cummins swap but time money and kids prevent me from doing so. so im weighing my options. what would be best? i found a guy about 2 hrs away that has 3 6.2 motors that may or may not need rebuilding for about $300 but im curious if that would even be worth the drive. what i would really like to do till i find the right cummins is make a reliable 6.2/6.5 hybrid so i can get around as this is currently the only vehicle in the household. (and the fact that its a stick means the wife wont be driving anywhere till i do the cummins/allison swap) <-- which makes me very happy.

anyone want to weigh in on this?:gathering:

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome: from N.E.
You must be registered for see images attach

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
you can put heads and stuff on a 6.2 but they don't give any real increase in power, a trick I herd was take a mechanical 6.5TD injection pump off of a 92(?) I think truck and it will be an upgrades pump ment for a turbo. Then you can go ahead and turn the fuel up a hair on that baby. Also Marine Injectors

89~burb

Reaction score
First Name
clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
r2500
Engine Size
6.2l banks sidewinder
what i was talking about was i believe a 6.5 with 6.2 heads bigger turbo other odds and ends.. has anyone done this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512