More bed swap questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Once again, I come to dip my cup into the wealth of knowledge of the Square body community!!!

There are obviously more differences in years of these trucks than I anticipated. The latest issue is the fuel filler neck. The original filler neck had 2 tabs that bolted to the bed. This bed doesn’t have the mounting holes for the tabs.

You must be registered for see images attach
This is the filler neck mounting tabs used on the original bed. This is a 81 GMC long bed, originally diesel powered.
This is what I’m working with. I THINK this bed came off a 77 truck. I’m not sure what I’m missing, I assume I’ll need the filler neck to match the bed? I really hope the fuel tank itself is interchangeable with what I need, the tank is only a couple years old. Hopefully someone in readerland can identify what this bed came off of, and more specifically, what I need to fix this.

It would really make my day if all I need is to replace the filler neck with the proper parts. Since the truck was originally diesel powered (since swapped to a 455 Olds gas engine) the gasoline nozzle doesn’t fit well. This would give me an excuse to fix that minor inconvenience.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
That bed looks like it's designed to use this type of filler neck (84-87), based on the 3 holes that are in the flange around the bed side hole. This plastic liner is the opposite side of what you need, but attaches to the bed. The fill pipe for this is in photo 2. Photo 3 shows the early versions (78?-83) of the fuel door/filler pipe.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
That’s kinda what I figured. I hope the correct filler neck and mounting hardware is compatible with my fairly new fuel tank. Thanks!!!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That bed looks like it's designed to use this type of filler neck (84-87), based on the 3 holes that are in the flange around the bed side hole. This plastic liner is the opposite side of what you need, but attaches to the bed. The fill pipe for this is in photo 2. Photo 3 shows the early versions (78?-83) of the fuel door/filler pipe.

78 was flush mount on the bedside. 79 was fuel door first year
Once again, I come to dip my cup into the wealth of knowledge of the Square body community!!!

There are obviously more differences in years of these trucks than I anticipated. The latest issue is the fuel filler neck. The original filler neck had 2 tabs that bolted to the bed. This bed doesn’t have the mounting holes for the tabs.

This is the filler neck mounting tabs used on the original bed. This is a 81 GMC long bed, originally diesel powered.
This is what I’m working with. I THINK this bed came off a 77 truck. I’m not sure what I’m missing, I assume I’ll need the filler neck to match the bed? I really hope the fuel tank itself is interchangeable with what I need, the tank is only a couple years old. Hopefully someone in readerland can identify what this bed came off of, and more specifically, what I need to fix this.

It would really make my day if all I need is to replace the filler neck with the proper parts. Since the truck was originally diesel powered (since swapped to a 455 Olds gas engine) the gasoline nozzle doesn’t fit well. This would give me an excuse to fix that minor inconvenience.
if you would like i can go show you how its supposed to look

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

81 would be the same as mine

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
My passenger side is the same way because I swapped bedsides. I have the cup/connector thing but I don't know if you could make it work. I am just going to cut the piece I need from my old bedside and make it work for me.

If you need one of those connectors I just happen to have one sitting around from a bedside I bought.
I'd let it go to a good cause for shipping only. Down side is that I don't know if i would have time to get it in the mail until next Monday/Tuesday. Shoot me a PM and let me know if you want it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1