mold in my stored truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kgc4160

Reaction score
First Name
kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
hey guys.. ive got my truck in a garage ..not heated..but ive noticed that im getting some surface mold on my seats and headliner.. in the process of restoring it.. any ideas on how to stop it

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You’re in the Pacific Northwest so I’m assuming lots of ambient moisture. Fungi thrive in moisture. Add heat to that equation, and they’re in hog heaven. Cars that sit over the summer in the South get mold on plastic and leather/vinyl. I’ve never seen it on cloth/velour, though. Here if you clean it up and use the car it’ll go away, and if you don’t use it, it’ll still stay away for the rest of the summer. What I’d do since the conditions are completely different and my anecdote is minimally applicable is try putting a desiccant in there to reduce moisture. I found this on Amazon and saw some kind of clay desiccant on Google.

https://www.amazon.com/Silica-Desiccant-Dry-Packs-Prevent-Corrosion/dp/B004N6JQFW

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Vodka in a spray bottle. Have not done this myself, did read on internet it kills mold. Google it. If it don't work, can have a good time trying!!!...lol.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If you don't drive it that often, Leave an old pie pan with about 1/4" of baking soda in it (or them), windows up of course. No moisture, no mold. Change the baking soda every other week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko