mini spool in front axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
have anyone of you guys put a mini spool locker in a front axle. We are looking for more bit in the front in the trench . I dont want to weld anything in there. I would rather buy the spool.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Talking to some of the higher horsepower racers around here they strongly suggest staying away from front lockers/spools. Said on heavy throttle you cant keep it under control. They're good for the trail but not racing. If I had to guess a posi unit would be better, not so much on/off action like a locker. I have seen some rigs with spooled front and when everything's right, they kick ass. But one bad rut or line choice they always seem to want to bounce off the side of the pit and roll over. If you wanted to try a slip-in locker like the Spartan I think that would be OK. If it broke it would still act like an open diff, and you'd only be out around $300. But to use a spool, I would just be ready to un-do it, if you test it or run it and cant seem to keep it straight under WOT.

Cowboy Cadillac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm with Curt, there are some down sides to spools in the pits. When you get a good run its all good, but I'd hate to see your truck shiny side down in the slop from a side hop of the front end up the bank( have seen this in person) If your running a D44 or a 10 bolt up front I would be prepared to have u-joints &/or axle shafts go south, especially if running big boggers. When they grab hard after spinning something has to give.( again seen this in person).If your intent on locking up the front go for a full spool over a mini spool, your carrier will last longer.
I personally am planning on going with a Detroit Tru trac up front in my rig.I run one in my 01 GMC rear and it works flawlessly. It will also allow me the ability to have a smaller turning radius than a locked/spooled/welded front and still have good road manners.

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
I know what you are saying about the bad runs . I am going to give it a try for a couple runs and we always carry extra axle shafts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub