1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Min Starters not all created equal

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by da_raabi, Mar 11, 2020.

1. SDJunkMan

SDJunkMan Full Access Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    I'm pretty sure that the mini gear starters are OEM on the newer GMs (90s?). There are also aftermarket versions out there.

DoubleDingo likes this.
  2. DoubleDingo

DoubleDingo Summer Is Near, Hot Temps Are Already Here

First Name:
    Shane
    Truck Year:
    1981, 1965
    Truck Model:
    81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
    Engine Size:
    Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
    Thanks for clarifying. I thought it was just a fad. I've never had the liberty of working on newer GM products. The most modern GM I have ever worked on is my '81 and even that is too new for my liking.

3. Salty Crusty

Salty Crusty Member

First Name:
    Gary
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c1500
    Engine Size:
    Keep in mind that the later model mini starters have ceramic magnets in them. I'm sure some of you here have had the old 100lbs starter crap out on you when they get worn and won't even turn over. A couple of whacks with a hammer usually broke it loose and it would work fine for a while. Whack one of these pretty good with a hammer and you'll be replacing it - the ceramic stuff just can't take it.
    I'm just glad I don't have to try to hold the old monster up while I'm trying to thread a bolt, that was an exercise in fitness!

DoubleDingo likes this.
  4. Salty Crusty

Salty Crusty Member

First Name:
    Gary
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c1500
    Engine Size:
    Back in the day...Dad had a late 60's Ford that ate starters like Cheerios.
    Dad swore up and down that when they started building a Ford truck, they suspended a started from the ceiling by a piece of wire and built the whole truck around it. It was a royal pain to change and I swapped my share of 'em in parking lots and driveways, wherever the damned thing stopped and wouldn't restart.

5. Snoots

Snoots Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Roger
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Jimmy Sierra
    Engine Size:
    Well, this has been fun . . . The 'old stock faithful' finally gave up (some time ago I might add) after 20 odd years, so I got one of those stock 'mini' starters. It lasted a few years. A few. Maybe 4.
    Then I thought why not try one of them thair new fangled permanent magnet starters? So the voyage continues.
    It does sound quite different but quieter too. Since I had the old one around in the junk pile I took them all to the scales.
    Here are the results: the top one is 18.5 pounds (without the solenoid), the mini is 13.5 pounds and the PM one is 8.6 pounds.

Starters.jpg

78C10BigTen likes this.
  6. 78C10BigTen

78C10BigTen Full Access Member

First Name:
    Ted
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10 BIG TEN
    Engine Size:
    Whats the starting speed difference between the 3?? Ive got the boat anchor currently but also have a stock mini starter off a late 90s blazer to put on it. Im curious to know if theres a cranking speed difference.

7. Snoots

Snoots Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Roger
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Jimmy Sierra
    Engine Size:
    I honestly can't say about starting speed. But by my ear, I'd say that the PM starter is a little faster overall.
    No other changes were or have been made to the motor. It still starts as well as ever.

There seems to be less strain on the PM style. On both the mini and PM starter I'm using 2AWG welding cable. The original starter had the factory wire.

Paladin and 78C10BigTen like this.
  8. 78C10BigTen

78C10BigTen Full Access Member

First Name:
    Ted
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10 BIG TEN
    Engine Size:
    Good thought! I never thought of switching wire gauge. Maybe i will when i put on the factory mini