Min Starters not all created equal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I thought I would post this here as an FYI to the group. I had put an eBay special gear-reduction starter on my 454 a couple years ago. The newer mini-model designed for mid-90s 5.7s. It was crazy noisy and it seemed like I could never shim it right.

Well yesterday it started making this horrible screeching sound when I went to start it. Naaaassttyyy. Scared the crap out of a lady walking by in the work parking lot. So I said to hell with this. I went down to Advance and picked up one of their CarQuest new replacement starters (not reman) specced for a 98 Chevy 1500 with the 5.7.

HO LEE CRAP

What a friggen difference. This thing is 100% quieter. 100% faster turn-over. It seems like the truck idles better once it fires. The first time I turned it over my jaw dropped. My wife was standing by the hood and she looked at me bewildered. Never have I ever seen such an improvement by simply replacing one part. Crazy crazy crazy.

So moral of the story is you get what you pay for. The $50 eBay special was worth about that much. This one was $120 after discounts and core, and it was worth every friggen penny.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
6449SN

$124 after core return.

You must be registered for see images attach

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
I thought I would post this here as an FYI to the group. I had put an eBay special gear-reduction starter on my 454 a couple years ago. The newer mini-model designed for mid-90s 5.7s. It was crazy noisy and it seemed like I could never shim it right.

Well yesterday it started making this horrible screeching sound when I went to start it. Naaaassttyyy. Scared the crap out of a lady walking by in the work parking lot. So I said to hell with this. I went down to Advance and picked up one of their CarQuest new replacement starters (not reman) specced for a 98 Chevy 1500 with the 5.7.

HO LEE CRAP

What a friggen difference. This thing is 100% quieter. 100% faster turn-over. It seems like the truck idles better once it fires. The first time I turned it over my jaw dropped. My wife was standing by the hood and she looked at me bewildered. Never have I ever seen such an improvement by simply replacing one part. Crazy crazy crazy.

So moral of the story is you get what you pay for. The $50 eBay special was worth about that much. This one was $120 after discounts and core, and it was worth every friggen penny.
Good info, I'll be switching to the mini starter on my rigs whenever I have to replace one. Aren't the bolts shorter so you have to buy bolts for the same model as the starter? My 85 K that's in storage has the mini starter but I bought it that way.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah I had bought a mid priced one from summit. It was junk. It lasted two months over warranty and I ended up screwdriver starting it anytime it was warm. And it was in a 98 5.7. Summit offered a credit toward another but I just went with the starter ( replacement one) that was on my 73 since I LS swapped it.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Good info, I'll be switching to the mini starter on my rigs whenever I have to replace one. Aren't the bolts shorter so you have to buy bolts for the same model as the starter? My 85 K that's in storage has the mini starter but I bought it that way.

Yes, you will need different bolts. I got fortunate in that the old cheap starter actually came with bolts. The one I showed above did not. However, I noticed that Advance had the bolts as "recommended items" when I added the starter to my cart. So they have them. I don't remember how much though. Probably not a lot.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the number Adam!!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've had the same mid-90s 5.7L permanent magnet starter on 3 different vehicles now. (Removed it from the first two when I went with 168-tooth flexplate and flywheel.) Bought it on eBay for $40-something around 12-15 years ago. Still works great, which surprises the heck out of me since it was so cheap!

A nice thing about the one da_raabi bought is its lifetime warranty. Lots of parts store stuff is like that, which makes it worth spending a little more to buy locally. My 82 has an alternator, PS pump, and radiator with lifetime warranties from O'Reilly Auto Parts just down the street from me.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Core charge on a NEW unit??
I refuse to pay that unless it's a reman and they need the old one to rebuild.

Also, is the larger starter you installed heat resistant from the exhaust so it doesn't get so hot it won't start after a shutdown from a highway trip?
That's the biggest starter problem I have to deal with on my 5.7 goodwrench with stock exhaust.
It was worse when the engine had headers.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Core charge on a NEW unit??
I refuse to pay that unless it's a reman and they need the old one to rebuild.

Also, is the larger starter you installed heat resistant from the exhaust so it doesn't get so hot it won't start after a shutdown from a highway trip?
That's the biggest starter problem I have to deal with on my 5.7 goodwrench with stock exhaust.
It was worse when the engine had headers.

Well its not any larger than the old one I had. There were/are both the min gear-reduction type found on newer vehicles.

I should probably put a heat shield on it to protect it from the headers I just installed, but I havent done that yet.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
there is a lot to what he is saying as far as starting speed, and initial idle quality after fire up. At the shop we have done a number of them especially on Older Chryslers from 80's and earlier that had REALLY REALLY slow turning starters, and I've done a bunch of those to solve mostly hot start long crank times from mild peculation on carbed motorhomes.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Wouldn't a relay speed up a normal old school starter, or are mini starters the new fad? I've had great starting success with the OEM starters, a tap of the key and vroom. I'll stay away from minis and stick with OEM.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Wouldn't a relay speed up a normal old school starter, or are mini starters the new fad? I've had great starting success with the OEM starters, a tap of the key and vroom. I'll stay away from minis and stick with OEM.
Is the starter relay not on the starter? I dont think the ignition switch carries all that current.... or do you mean having a remote relay but close to the starter?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Is the starter relay not on the starter? I dont think the ignition switch carries all that current.... or do you mean having a remote relay but close to the starter?

I'm not sure if the solenoid has the same purpose as a relay. All my new vehicles have an audible click from a relay in the starting circuit.

A relay definitely delivers all the battery voltage to its intended device.

I guess I'm too old school to go with a mini when OEM works so well.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Im no expert but I was under the impression that the gm starters from the era had a relay on them by solenoid and fords were standing out in how they had a separate. Unless I'm thinking OF the solenoid. I just dont see why the ignition switch would be carrying that current 1) that far and 2) that much. Maybe im wrong, Also, could one not do both? Relay a mini starter with reduced gears!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes