Military K5 exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie Kleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 350
So I recently bought a former military K5 to build as a weekend rock crawler. Needs a little body and electrical work but my main issue is the exhaust. It’s extremely loud, almost unbearable (atleast to me that is) drove it about 150 miles home and my ears are still ringing:thumbsdown: anyone happen to know if the exhaust on the military 6.2 diesel is the same as the civilian version? I’m definitely considering taking it back to stock from the current dual setup if possible...I tried to look it up and couldn’t really find a definitive answer. I’d imagine they are just looking for some confirmation!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've never know the CUCV 6.2 exhaust to be loud. Is it possible someone else has owned it since the military sold it and they modified it? Is it possible it was ripped off previously and someone just duct taped and tie wired it back together?

Charlie Kleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 350
Oh it’s 100% not stock, the guy I bought it from put the current exhaust on

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The exhaust is probably only part of the problem. CUCV's didn't have any insulation on the floor, hood, or rear quarter panels, making it very loud inside. Supposedly the J code engine used in them is louder then the civilian 6.2. If it's like mine, some of the grommets on the firewall are loose or missing, allowing engine noise into the cab too.

Charlie Kleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 350
The exhaust is probably only part of the problem. CUCV's didn't have any insulation on the floor, hood, or rear quarter panels, making it very loud inside. Supposedly the J code engine used in them is louder then the civilian 6.2. If it's like mine, some of the grommets on the firewall are loose or missing, allowing engine noise into the cab too.

I gotcha, I’m still gonna have to do something though. Doesn’t need to exactly be quiet, just don’t want to have to scream to someone in the passenger seat all the time

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I think all of gmsb needs pics of said exhaust.... im also super cuurious to see what is on it currently.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I gotcha, I’m still gonna have to do something though. Doesn’t need to exactly be quiet, just don’t want to have to scream to someone in the passenger seat all the time
We had a k30 cucv truck that we used for our fire department (just recently turned it back in to the state). You had to almost yell at the person beside you while driving and I am sure it was still stick or a stock replacement if not original. There is no insulation in the cab like said so it magnifies the noise and the diesel they used in it, I read on here produces more power than the civilian version so I'm sure it's louder.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
"It’s extremely loud" Not at all That's Very Suttle & Sound for the 6.2L lol If you've ever owned one b4 that is... lol

It's only the same on the Civi Diesel models truck models as well. TMK.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69