Military 6.2 (help)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IHC656

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I have a stock military M1008.
When first started for the day it starts great, runs great. But will shut down after driving approx 4 miles.
Will take about five minutes to start again, then will shut off about every 500 feet.
I emptied the fuel and changed the fuel filter, did not help.
So I'd say its an electronic issue.
Any ideas appreciated.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Where the diesel guys at in here? Nobody got any advice?

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
I have a stock military M1008.
When first started for the day it starts great, runs great. But will shut down after driving approx 4 miles.
Will take about five minutes to start again, then will shut off about every 500 feet.
I emptied the fuel and changed the fuel filter, did not help.
So I'd say its an electronic issue.
Any ideas appreciated.

run a clear hose from the top of the injector pump to where it goes back to the tank and look for air bubbles......

or just run a line to a good sized coffie can and look for bubbles,, but id do the above way, cause sometimes it takes awhile to run enough fuel through the pump for air bubbles to show up.....

if ya see any bubbles,, ya got air getting in the system some place...
that will cause what your saying,, also? if the return line from the injector pump is pinched some place along the way back to the tank,, that will cause it also...

another thing ya could look for would be a plugged vent in the fuel cap,, ive seen some trucks build up pressure in the tank and stop the return fuel flow,, like pinching off the hose on the inj-pump......

See? the line that comes out of the inj-pump is a free flow,, if ya crimp it off so no fuel comes out of it ,, the motor will stop......

also check the big red wire going to the pump,, clean it up and make sure it connects tight,, being a diesel,, it might have crap in it and losing power,, ya could always connect a HOT wire directly to the pump terminal and to the pos of the battery,, that bypasses any ignition problems.....

but ya would have to disconnect the wire to **** it off,, or like i said crimp off the hose coming out of the pump..........:boti:

IHC656

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Thanks for advice.
Just finished fixing the brakes on the 2003 Silverado.
Now I can get back to the old 86 Diesel.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Sounds like the truck is overheating

When you start the truck does it idle high for a few mins then kickdown into idle mode?

If there were air in your line the truck would shake and not idle smooth

also when it dies on you is it puffing white smoke as it dies if so there is a valve where the return hose goes into the injec. pump the little glass ball gets cloged and makes it not run what Ive done is drill out the little gas ball and it will run fine

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I had one do something simalar few years back. the electric solenoid in the injection pump was bad. It would get hot and shut off the fuel. thats all there is to fuel system and electrical of a 6.2 just a power wire to pump to turn fuel one and the solenoid. check resistance of pump solenoid before and after stalls to see if it looses contnuity and check and see if you still have power to it. should be the big wire right on top of injection pump.

A 6.2 overheated to a point it stops running will be seized to a point it won't crank till it cools down. we have a old one in one of our trail buggys that has been that way several times. belive it or not the 6.2 runs best when there around 220-280 degrees, but I wouldn't recomend running them that hot often.

Finally if its getting air in fuel system it will be hard to start when cold, and will stall right off the get go. I have had several have the air in fuel problem and once I was able to get them started, they stayed running.

IHC656

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
It does not idle fast when first started, it has been idling smooth and never seen white smoke.
But it has idled fast when I first touch the fuel peddle, but if turn off the engine and restart it, it idled fine.
It has been starting great cold, takes some time before it will stall. It only has a light that pops on when hot and no temperature gage. Light did not come on.
The wiring to fuel pump has been suspect after my other gear head brother looked it over.
Thanks for the helpful comments.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
I had one do something simalar few years back. the electric solenoid in the injection pump was bad. It would get hot and shut off the fuel. thats all there is to fuel system and electrical of a 6.2 just a power wire to pump to turn fuel one and the solenoid. check resistance of pump solenoid before and after stalls to see if it looses contnuity and check and see if you still have power to it. should be the big wire right on top of injection pump.

A 6.2 overheated to a point it stops running will be seized to a point it won't crank till it cools down. we have a old one in one of our trail buggys that has been that way several times. belive it or not the 6.2 runs best when there around 220-280 degrees, but I wouldn't recomend running them that hot often.

Finally if its getting air in fuel system it will be hard to start when cold, and will stall right off the get go. I have had several have the air in fuel problem and once I was able to get them started, they stayed running.

i agree for the most part? but ever get a Diesel,, old school,, over 210? and its cooked,, finished,, done, cracked the heads and block,,,,SBC's? yea 210 230ish,, a diesel 6.2? Dead,, the heads cant take it..........

there is a difference between a red block and a 6.2 black bock........

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

^What he said. The only reasons a 6.2 will die are: no fuel, the kill switch in the injector pump, or it's blown to bits. I actually had one break the crank and it kept running... :shakehead:

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
^What he said. The only reasons a 6.2 will die are: no fuel, the kill switch in the injector pump, or it's blown to bits. I actually had one break the crank and it kept running... :shakehead:

i gave ya a rep-up,, 6.2's are die hards,, i have a RED block 6.2 500k miles...

look up a Red block 6.2 from canada?

they dont break like the **** one the US made out of detroit,, yea there still detroit diesel iron,, but the red block was the ponie/start or the 6.2.. then they went with the 6.5,, which was junk,, but i guess thats the way the military does things.......

back in the Iraq war? the HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMers with the 6.2s rocked,, the 6.5's sucked.........

the head on a 6.2 was 2 time thicker,, valves were bigger and the pre chamber cups were thicker so they didnt crack/head warpage......

no dis to you?,, but i own a 6.2 RED BLOCK,, check it out dude?:pimp:

Last edited:

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I know the 6.2 in our buggy has been totally pegged on temp gauge more than once. when there so hot there smoking and sizzling there hot. It may just run better hot since it's wore out so bad, but I know we've tried to blow it up for 3 years now and it's still running.

IHC656

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Problem Fixed-----Changed out the fuel pump solenoid-:grd:-Thanks everyone---

Latest posts

Forum statistics