Messin' with a 305...Camshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Hey MikeB I am glad you have had good luck with the summit cams. I have had 2 that went south at about 8-9 hundred miles(not the same engine) Both were ran in properly but no good. Three guys from this area also lost cams less than a 1000 miles in. Different grinds but still summit branded. All were within 6 months of each other . Maybe they just don't like western Idaho!!! just my experience

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I agree with the above about the cam. That’s a mild mannered cam which will improve performance within a practical RPM range, which is when your foot touches the accelerator. You’ll keep a stable vacuum so brakes will not be hit or miss and the cruise will not lurch the truck around if you try to use that. I would consider a step up from that model but no more. @rich weyand had that cam in his truck, and he was very happy with it. I also gave my response to the debacle between Summit and Comp grinds, which as I see it, boils down to the difference in a wide (Summit) vs. narrow (Comp) lobe separation angle.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Not sure if it's still the case, but it used to be the Summit cams along with many other "store branded" cams were cast and ground by Camshaft Machine Company in Michigan. Heard that from Barry Robitnik around 10 years ago, who used to sell Chevy cams and lifters (now 100% Ford) and had been in the camshaft/valvetrain business for a very long time. He could tell you where many of the cam companies got their cores and/or finished camshafts, and which ones used the best machinery. He also had a limited stash of USA-made Delphi hydraulic lifters for Chevy, so I bought a couple sets from him. As I recall, he said most of the lifter manufacturing was moved to Mexico, which of course is better than China for quality.

On a related note, from what I understand after talking with the Crane folks at a SEMA show, they still make lifters (flat and roller) in the USA, but get some of the internals from Mexico. In any case, Crane would probably be my first choice in lifters. I think they also grind their own cams, hence the relatively high price of their valve train products. Have to say the 210/210 Crane Energizer cam I used many years ago was a work of art with respect to the casting and finish, and it punched above it weight class. It is probably my all time favorite, next to a custom ground cam from Mike Jones at Jones Cam Designs. Don't ask about his prices.:eek:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Not sure if it's still the case, but it used to be the Summit cams along with many other "store branded" cams were cast and ground by Camshaft Machine Company in Michigan. Heard that from Barry Robitnik around 10 years ago, who used to sell Chevy cams and lifters (now 100% Ford) and had been in the camshaft/valvetrain business for a very long time. He could tell you where many of the cam companies got their cores and/or finished camshafts, and which ones used the best machinery. He also had a limited stash of USA-made Delphi hydraulic lifters for Chevy, so I bought a couple sets from him. As I recall, he said most of the lifter manufacturing was moved to Mexico, which of course is better than China for quality.

On a related note, from what I understand after talking with the Crane folks at a SEMA show, they still make lifters (flat and roller) in the USA, but get some of the internals from Mexico. In any case, Crane would probably be my first choice in lifters. I think they also grind their own cams, hence the relatively high price of their valve train products. Have to say the 210/210 Crane Energizer cam I used many years ago was a work of art with respect to the casting and finish, and it punched above it weight class. It is probably my all time favorite, next to a custom ground cam from Mike Jones at Jones Cam Designs. Don't ask about his prices.:eek:

My trusted engine machinist told me the EPA has run off casting in the US now for some years. Unless it's a very small in house operation, most cast goods come from China or wherever overseas.
Another thing to consider, a US company for example can have their heads cast in China or Mexico wherever, then do the machining and finishing in the US and sell the product as Made in USA. I'm not sure they need to tell the consumer the casting is imported.
If would be great if anyone else can chime on this subject.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I too was all for not throwing cash at the Wee O Five and go for the Tree Fitty. But since now you mention you're not buying heads and down to just the cam and intake, those are parts that can you can later transfer to a Tree Fitty when the Wee O Five decides to grow up and be a big boy so it's not money wasted other than the gaskets and labor.

I think this K5 I just acquired has a Wee O Five in it. Not even sure if it runs or the health of the engine. First thing I'm going to do is ID it. If it's a Wee O Five, and not 90% healthy, it's coming out. I won't waste to much cash on it to make it healthy if it's not already. I'm hoping whatever it is, it will run though so I can at least be driving it while fixing everything else, then eventually a 350 in it since I don't want to put a big block in it. The big block is for the K10/20 project.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok, I'll admit I went down the rabbit hole once when I was young. Built a 305 in an 87 El Camino.
10:1 compression, World Product SR Torquer Heads, Comp 256 cam, long tube headers. It actually ran pretty damn well paired with a 700r4 and 3:73 gears.

As part of my therapy, I've had to admit to another person that I've built a 305 and owned an El Camino. I'm doing much better lately; bought an 85 K20 using a 4bolt 350/nv4500/Dana 60/14ff axles with 4:56 and lockers. I hope my story inspires someone. My testosterone level has increased substantially.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Did he finally get confirmed??? Way to derail a thread @Rusty Nail !!! :mad3:
Yep. Why is it so satisfying to watch liberals melt? Does that make me a bad person? Lol

As for the original post... I got my l31-r shipped free to my door for under $1800. I think you can swap most of your 305 stuff onto it except intake manifold and distributor gear. Something to consider.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
My trusted engine machinist told me the EPA has run off casting in the US now for some years. Unless it's a very small in house operation, most cast goods come from China or wherever overseas.
Another thing to consider, a US company for example can have their heads cast in China or Mexico wherever, then do the machining and finishing in the US and sell the product as Made in USA. I'm not sure they need to tell the consumer the casting is imported.

What? I chimed, I chimed....
I no derail no nothing!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's hard to know for sure where "USA" products are made these days. I wouldn't take a machinist's word for it, unless he's an industry insider. I'd want to ask management people at the big cam companies, and then have those answers confirmed by others, such as boutique cam grinders like Jones and Straub.

The problem is lots of USA "manufacturers" outsource to China, but they always dance around the question, "Where are your products made?" What we need to see more is courage of conviction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave