Major PS leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramseyryan88

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
So I replaced the PS lines to try and fix a leak. Now it's steadily leaking fluid when the truck is running. Turning the wheel results in it gushing out. Coming from the pressure line where it meets the back of the reservoir. I've triple checked and can't get the nuts any tighter. You guys got any ideas how to stop it leaking or am I going to have to bite the bullet and replace the pump? Thanks in advance.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Are you missing the O-ring seal on the line?

Ramseyryan88

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Are you missing the O-ring seal on the line?

Didn't know there was supposed to be one... New lines didn't come with one and there wasn't one on the old line when removed.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Didn't know there was supposed to be one... New lines didn't come with one and there wasn't one on the old line when removed.

It may or may not have one or need one. You will need to verify if you have the type needs a seal or if its a double flare that does not. I will see if I can find a pic for you

Ramseyryan88

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
It may or may not have one or need one. You will need to verify if you have the type needs a seal or if its a double flare that does not. I will see if I can find a pic for you

This is the line I bought. That little yellow thing was a plastic cap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 148

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Compare it to your old one. Did the old one look like this? See the O-ring installed in the pic?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 126

Ramseyryan88

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Compare it to your old one. Did the old one look like this? See the O-ring installed in the pic?

No sir mine looks like this which exactly matched the new line's end.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 113

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
So then the fitting on the back of the pump should look like this. Is the fittng on the pump tight as well as the line going into it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 113

Ramseyryan88

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
So then the fitting on the back of the pump should look like this. Is the fittng on the pump tight as well as the line going into it?

Yes sir. Tried and tried again and can't get them any tighter.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Yes sir. Tried and tried again and can't get them any tighter.

All I can think is there may be some debris in the joint. Try remaking that connection and cleaning it up good. It can help if you twist the line back and forth a few times with the nut finger tight.

Ramseyryan88

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
All I can think is there may be some debris in the joint. Try remaking that connection and cleaning it up good. It can help if you twist the line back and forth a few times with the nut finger tight.

Will try that. Thank you for your help

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
This is not meant to be an insult, but check to make sure you didn't cross thread the connection. Everybody has cross-threaded something at some point. It happens. If not cross-threaded, definitely clean the fitting before re-connecting. I always put plumbers tape on threaded hydraulic fittings.

Ramseyryan88

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
This is not meant to be an insult, but check to make sure you didn't cross thread the connection. Everybody has cross-threaded something at some point. It happens. If not cross-threaded, definitely clean the fitting before re-connecting. I always put plumbers tape on threaded hydraulic fittings.

It's entirely possible, as hard a time as I was having with that connection. Will be taking it apart and checking everything and adding plumbers tape. Thanks!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

See that fitting that George is holding? That is just an adapter that allows the type of hose you are using to be connected to the actual high pressure fitting which is underneath the adapter - if one is used. The actual pump outlet port is behind the wall of the reservoir. The high pressure fitting penetrates the pump casing and screws into the ID of the discharge port. Either way, whether the hose is just threaded directly into the discharge port bushing - or if an adapter is required because of differences in the hose and discharge port, there is another common point of leakage that is easily mistaken as leakage at the hose to adapter joint.

There is an o-ring used to seal the joint between the high pressure fitting and the pump's discharge port. The way the outlet port/pump casing/high pressure fitting are assembled is tricky. But, if that o-ring gets tired after years of service, it will start to leak. High pressure hydraulic fluid will flow out of the pump casing from behind the high pressure fitting. And, because it is so close to the hose connection, the hose connection often gets blamed.

This shows the o-ring on the high pressure fitting:

You must be registered for see images attach

Simplified drawings provided by GM that show the components involved and where leakage most often occurs:

Old style:

1980 and up:

Note how every one of these PSP's has that same hex-shape fitting for the pump discharge. That is a common feature of all Saginaw power steering pumps - under that hex nut is where the o-ring is:

I know firsthand how difficult it is to get a good view of what is going on behind the PSP - it's nearly impossible with the engine running. So, could it be possible that the leakage is actually from the casing o-ring - and not from the hose threads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80