Magruder Corridor road trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I don't have access to all my pics I took on this trip yet, but still thought I'd start a thread on what I did last weekend.

My trip ended up taking me 760 miles and the main purpose was to drive the Magruder Corridor road which goes from Idaho to Montana and goes between 2 very large wilderness areas. In fact the one wilderness area itself is the 2nd largest expanse of wilderness in the US. #1 is Death Valley. When I first heard about the road years ago some called it "the wildest road in the lower 48 states." The 117 mile long is a single lane for most of it and enables a traveler to drive between two wildernesses: the 1.2 million-acre Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness to the north, and the 2.3-million-acre Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness to the South. The road itself has changed little since its construction by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the 1930s.

They say the average speed for driving this road is between 10-15 miles an hour. I agree. Way too bumpy, too steep, too many switch backs, blind corners... to go any faster.

You must be registered for see images attach

The main part of the road I wanted to go on was a little off shoot road that goes up to Burnt Knob lookout. This cabin was built in 1930.

I'd heard the road was rated a 2.5 in some places. The road was the bounciest drive I have ever been on. For 1.5 miles in, I was thrown about like a rag doll in my cab. Once I got up to the top my neck and stomach were sore. The road had a lot of erosion, was very narrow, and was often over boulders and exposed rock. Basically imagine yourself driving over 1.5 miles of curbs while going up a very steep hill. Once on top there was a little parking area, and a great 360* view.
picture.php

The trip down was worse than coming up. In 2 wheel drive low (needed to be able to steer) and in 1st gear was way too fast. Had to ride the brakes most of the way down. Luckily I didn't meet anyone coming up at the same time. In fact in the 2 day trip I only saw 6 other people the whole time. 4 motor cycles, and 2 four wheelers.

Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
You must be registered for see images

Once back down to the main road a lot of went went thru areas that had been burned in years past. Even when I was driving thru it I saw 3 fires burning in the distance. There is no need to put them out- they usually just let them burn.

I used 2 wheel low more on this trip then I have since I've owned the truck. A lot of the road was way too steep for 2nd gear. By putting it in low I then had a choice of 3 gears to slow my accent. I found this plot of someone else that mapped the elevation changes along the road. You can see how steep it is in different areas.

Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
After coming down from the lookout it was time to start looking for a place to camp. There is tons of camping along the road, and even numerous unimproved forest service campgrounds along the way. As it was getting dark I pulled into one called Observation Point campground. With the softtop on the back, I just had to back up onto one rock to level it side to side and then unfold my cot and sleeping bag. The daytime temperature in Idaho was 91*, and it was a bit cooler up at elevation. But once that sun set, it got cold in a hurry. Sometime in the middle of the night my North Face sleeping bag wasn't doing its job so I had to grab my wool swiss army blanket and throw that over me. After the sun had been up for 2 hours I checked the outside temperature. It had warmed up to 34*. The road dropped several thousand feet from there to the valley floor where it follows a river. A few weeks back a severe rainstorm had washed out the road in 6 places. The forest service has closed the road mon-thrus but it was open on weekends. This is a pic of how the road was impassable when it first happened:

There was a 24 mile round trip side spur road that went back to a popular rafting launch point. Guess from there it is a 47 mile raft trip out to civilization. Along the way were the remains of an old salmon fish hatchery that was used in the '30s thru the '60s. Road was in a tight canyon with the river right along side of it. Around one of the corners I had scared 7-8 mountain goats who promptly took off up the cliff. Once they safely get 20' or so up, they stop and look smugly down on you. One of them then dislodged a decent sized rock and sent it bouncing down towards the truck. Luckily it missed...

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected

The road is named after Lloyd Magruder who along with 4 of his fellow travelers were killed on Oct 8, 1863. After they were killed the bodies were thrown over a nearby cliff, burned everything else they could, grabbed $18,000 in gold dust and took off for San Francisco, CA. They were caught, brought back for trial and hung.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
picture.php

picture.php

What is right in front of my truck?

Long way down the cliff.

picture.php

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
That's some seriously awesome stuff there, I miss living out West some days. Can't beat the scenery and environment.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Damn it boy! That is pretty! Thanks for sharing.

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That is fantastic.. Can you give specs of your rig?? This is what i am hoping to do with my 80.. a camping, back country truck...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Thanks for sharing man, looks like a great experience.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
That is fantastic.. Can you give specs of your rig?? This is what i am hoping to do with my 80.. a camping, back country truck...

It has been great if it is just me. I bought a cot that is very comfortable that fits in the back. The lower the legs on it, the better. Some have very tall legs, and this would stuff me up against the Softopper. On this trip at the last minute my dad wanted to come along. There isn't enough room for 2 cots side by side. There was room to throw a narrow air mattress next to it.

picture.php

This was before I unpacked some stuff and organized it. I've put weatherstripping along the whole tailgate- and even after 70 miles of dust, hardly any got inside the bed. I had wrapped everything in plastic bags just in case.

I've tried to beef up everything on the truck a bit. So far it has:

3" Tuff country lift, HD front springs
removed front sway bar
Softopper canvas top
Differential guards front and rear
Bilstein 5125 shocks
Eaton Truetrac front differential
Detroit locker rear differential
HT383 GM crate engine
TH350 trans/NP203 transfer case/4.10 gears
285/75R16 BFGoodrich MT tires (these have been TOUGH tires! They have held up great with everything I've thrown at them)
slamguard transmission pan (built in skidplate)
Hella H4 headlights 55w/100w

I'd created a thread about some of the work I'd done to it here:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9999

Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I still haven't been able to get the rest of my pictures from my dad- but here are a few more.

picture.php

picture.php

Campsite

picture.php

View first thing in the morning across the road from campsite.

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info.. Outstanding trip you had and great pics.. I wish my ole man would do something like that..

m1000snopro

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
that looks really cool I would like to do that some time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members