LS & Vortec Swap to 90-91 VSS Electronic Gauge Cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks. I'll use the truck style intake too since it comes with the engine.
I see you made an access panel for your tank. I'll have to think about that as it helps with maintenance.
I like the idea of a one way vent tube. Not that I'm taking my K5 swimming but you never know.
Did you just run pump power to ignition directly or to the PCM?

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
The way the fuse/relay setup works on my harness is that I have a trigger wire that feeds to the pump and its a 12 gauge wire. Anyone who builds your harness should include the relay setup. I highly recomend LSX specialities unless you choose to do it yourself. Their stuff looks fantastic. On mine it was done by a guy who turned out to be a hack. It is setup on the relay but it's not fused (I could put one inline) but since the harness looks like garbage I may end up sending mine back tp LSX. Essentially what they do is they build your harness on a table and then at that point use the connectors off your old harness and return it to you in a nice braided finish, and on my truck I am installing a completely new chassis/body harness that includes a FI pump circuit, so I am not 100 % sure on what I am going to use but more than likely I will end up using the electrical circuit off the new chassis harness to trigger a relay and a thicker gauge wire to the pump off a breaker bar and have a somewhat hidden circuit breaker on it, partly as an anti-theft device (no fuel means it can't be driven away), and also as a way to provide more power to larger demand pump (later down the road may go turbo).

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
OH and the fuel flap is just because it's easier than dropping a tank with fuel in it....

I welded some tabs on the panel and am going to just screw it down then line over everything in the tub to seal it up until needed. If it ever gets to a point where I need to swap out the pump then I'll just cut through the liner and service it, then respray some liner on top to seal it again.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

I've had the old girl full of junk lately because I am waiting for cable and internet to get installed in my house and since the attic access is in the garage I've been waiting to get all that crap done before setting stuff in the garage, otherwise I have to move everything when they need attic access. Final install guy is supposed to be here on the 30th and I can not wait, lol

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Sounds like we need to start a build thread and stop hi-jacking someone else's thread. I know I had added a bit to it, but I didn't realize this wasn't your post until after it was done.

Just a thought

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Sorry, I thought this was his thread...

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks for the info.
I know the feeling of having to store parts, etc in the back of a car.

Good point on the "build thread".
I have a thread for when I first considered starting this project (buying the K5) but this one was more specific to swap info.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks @Lostranger
It helps us that are trying a LS swap.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good info in this thread

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
If you don't have a Suburban cluster ...G-Van 90+ can do the job if you can swap the square face plate without braking the needle...and is cheaper at the junkyard ($35 ) :)

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I used mine from the GMC Ventura. Swapped the face plate and needle over. But the back looked more like the square body one. It didn’t have the circuit board exposed.