LS swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Also, if you are going the basic LS swap route... you should go on the LSDroid and/or PCMhammer facebook groups and look at some of the postings. There is probably someone on there that has a base file they would send you that is a stock OS wit hjust VATS and the rear O2 sensors turned off. That will allow you to start and run the engine just like stock with no codes. The LS doesn't need the rear O2 sensors if you aren't running catalytic converters. If you want to keep the cats and rear O2's then its just a VATS delete to get you going... which I could do pretty quickly for you as well.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
You can buy them all day long in my area for $2000.

TheFishBox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
v30
Engine Size
6.0 ls

With the complete standalone harness, engine/tranny combo? What part of the country do you live in?

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID

Right now LS motors are a buyers market, i hate to break the news to you.

I bought a 60K unit from a recycler with ecu, trans, and all the parts that came with 90 day install warranty for 1700 bucks all in Fort Worth at the time and that was just because I did not have time and tools at that time to go and pull my own unit. When I first started looking at swaps I saw the prices from some of the internet turnkey providers and I just couldn't fathom paying those prices.

Not trying to be a downer but just pointing out unless it has zero miles and a warranty there's a good chance you are going to have some buyers remorse, well, a lot actually.

The harness is 270 bucks for a cheap one from China
The transmission is probably about 350 to 500 bucks unless it is super low miles or fresh rebuilt
The motor is probably worth about 500 to 750 again, based on verifiable miles
A base tune on the ECM is going to be worth about 75 bucks, 200 if you are having a new ECM mailed to you as a replacement. Some guys are more or less.
After that its a radiator and fuel system but pretty sure that isn't part of your shipping package...

Not sure what else includes on your package deal but a VIN number should be listed with it, of course no way to verify that since they more than likely wiped it off the ECM.

There are a bunch of little things that add up but those are swap related and not important to buying the power unit.

Going the salvage yard route still comes under 2k and that's using the higher prices...

TheFishBox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
v30
Engine Size
6.0 ls
If you can put this package together for 2,000.00 sign me up.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I'm going to keep you in mind when it's time for me to do the swap... I'm right down the road from you!

I'm still midstream. caught between 4 motorcycles (or maybe its 5) plus decided to repair some rust holes and swap in some axles and a lift kit with a new wiring harness before getting back into the ls Swap.

Also I am in down in the Waco area now but the way I see it probably easier than driving through DFW (used to live over on the North side). That being said though if you have questions please feel free to ask. I've probably made every wrong choice first, lol. I will say this, a 2wd swap is pretty much very able to be bolt on with very little changes. I know one provider that can get you setup on good mounts that will allow you to use your LS swap stuff, AC included, and if you want a new fancy crossmember he makes those too. Check into Tejas Steelworks and the fellow there is top notch, not just in product but after sales support too. Scotty is the owner and he has a good facebook group called LS Swapped Square Body GM Trucks ('73-'86 C/K & '87-'91 R/V).

4wd trucks can be a little more complicated but all things considered I would probably still go with Tejas parts. The primary difference is you will most likely end up needing a longer rear and shorter front driveshaft.

My opinon is regardless you should do a new fresh built rear driveshaft to handle the difference in power.

Enough of the sermon though. Feel free to hit me back. I'm no expert, but I can certainly point you in the direction of some when my experience fails me.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
If you can put this package together for 2,000.00 sign me up.

Sadly I have a full time job all week and most of it is spent at the airport or away from home but up in Oregon I suspect you probably have a plethora of low mileage rust bucket LS swap donor vehicles.

There has been guides on buying a GM service fan and they usually have the best combination of a LS and 4l80E combo. You can literally buy a high mileage van for 1500 to 2500 and take our your swap parts, perhaps end up with a beefier rear axle, then part out the rest of the van and not only break even but get money back on your expense. It all comes down to how much work you are willing to put into it. You can do your own ecm base tune for the cost of the devices to hook it to your PC. You can alter the harness and use what the general gave you in the van for as much as it costs to buy some fuse blocks and relays. There are just so many ways to do the swap and basically have the cost amount to nuts and bolts, but none of it is going to be turn key, and that is the trade. I can't really begin to write a how to on saving money, that is just up to your resourcefulness, mechanical ability (meaning tools and familiarity mostly), and available time.

I'd love to do LS swaps full time and make a living doing that and other work but it's just not in the cards right now, lol.

If you want a recipe for success and affordability I would combine to resources. Check into The Driveway engineer on youtubr, and then the facebook group I mentioned in the above post. That group has a files or pinned post section that has a recipe for installation guides, wiring, how to get CC working, etc etc. Research is the best place to start before I would spend one dollar. Determine your choice of mounts, radiator (you can use stock ultimately), trans choices... The list goes on and one change can affect many other items so just get a spreadsheet or notebook and make a project list is all I can start you out at.

keep in mind if you decide to start doing a cam swap out the gate, you will need a real tune before you start it up and can enjoy it, but a stock ecm will manage a stock motor just fine, all you need to do is remove VATS and turn off some error reporting codes and you can have instant gratification.

I always kind of recommend that to guys install the stock motor, get it running and establish a base install with no problems before they mess with tuning because it limits the amount of problems you introduce to the swap process initially, and then swapping an LS cam is really kind of easy from a mechanical standpoint, so it can be done once you are ready to go to a tune session (because its a roller cam so no break in needed).

Just some food for thought, please feel free to ask otherwise.

TheFishBox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
v30
Engine Size
6.0 ls
Exactly most of us have a full time job and if you factor in the cost of your time your 2,000 dollar setup just went over 4,000 and you lost all the time associated with getting it going. If I had unlimited hours I would smelt the aluminum and steel it takes to make a motor but alas I don’t have unlimited time like many others on this forum.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Time is the enemy of all production, lol

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Gas pedals are cheap fellas. These is gen 4 stuff here. I think this transmission can easily be adapted to a 4x4, but the 6l90's are not my area of expertise.

You must be registered for see images attach

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
if you guys want when I see these come across I can create a link in the forums and just post them there. Alternatively if you are on facebook you can join that page and see them as I approve them. Your choice!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
if you guys want when I see these come across I can create a link in the forums and just post them there. Alternatively if you are on facebook you can join that page and see them as I approve them. Your choice!

Thanks, just requested to join. Looks like another good source for that spare engine i'm looking for. My wife "you and your damn spares" lol.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Gas pedals are cheap fellas. These is gen 4 stuff here. I think this transmission can easily be adapted to a 4x4, but the 6l90's are not my area of expertise.
You must be registered for see images attach

That is a good deal.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I try to keep all the non square/LS related stuff off the buy sell page and since I moderate it I usually see all the engine for sale posts and I'll probably start a thread for guys looking for deals. Once in a while a super clean OBS or 72 and earlier truck will catch my eye and I'll throw them on their (also sweet LS swapped hot rod in general but usually all just period cars), lol. I'm a product of the 70's I guess, lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL