LS Swap AC Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
My 02 2500HD Silverado 6.0 has the AC in the lower position, and no problems in the last 19 years since I bought it new.
It is a strange phenomenon. It is intriguing to me that some vehicles can have such a problem and others to not.

TrybalRage

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
Can anyone tell me what LS swap motor mounts I can use to keep the AC in the lower position?

I currently have the Dirty Dingo adjustable ones for a 2wd square.
Tejas Steel work make great motor mount not shure if can help you for your compressor location! ;)
https://tejassteelworks.com

Tejas SteelWorks Square Body GM LS Swap Guide

Position

The mounting position used in this outline is approximately three inches forward of “stock”. This position was derived by mocking up the engine and transmission so that two objectives could be met: 1. retain the LS truck A/C compressor mounting on the lower right side, (aftermarket relocation brackets are expensive) 2. ensure adequate clearance at the cross-member to retain the LS truck oil pan, (aftermarket swap kits pushing oil pans are unnecessary)

The Tejas SteelWorks LS motor mount adapter plates achieve this. Others may, as well. Most sacrifice the A/C mounting

Air Conditioning

There are many opinions about the best way to execute Air Conditioning. Most seem to hinge on engine placement. If a stock engine and transmission location are used, relative to the firewall, the right side engine mount will interfere with the LS Truck compressor mount on the lower right side of the block. This will require an aftermarket bracket to move the compressor up higher on the right side. Both the OE R4 compressor and Sanden compressors are commonly used in this position. The brackets can range in cost from $160, to well over $300.

One of the original objectives of the Tejas SteelWorks engine mount adapter plates was to retain the low mount compressors, as it comes with the LS Truck engine assemblies. Our mounting plates position the engine far enough forward to clear the interference between the mounting stand and the compressor, and high enough to allow the compressor to tuck inside the frame rail, with reasonable clearance for hoses. A very minor notch in the top edge of the frame permits the hoses to exit straight away from the compressor. They should have 4” to 6” of hard line, before going to rubber hose. The outlet line (smaller) should bend forward at 90-120 degrees. The inlet line (larger) should just have a straight line, with a large loop in the hose to relieve any strain before heading back to the evaporator case. Our installation uses a Denso 10S17F type compressor, like those used on a 2003 LS Truck, with two separate port fittings.

Compressor controls can be managed by the early OE system, or by the LS ECM. High and Low pressure switches will be OE, for whichever method you choose.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Tejas Steel work make great motor mount not shure if can help you for your compressor location! ;)
https://tejassteelworks.com

Tejas SteelWorks Square Body GM LS Swap Guide

Position

The mounting position used in this outline is approximately three inches forward of “stock”. This position was derived by mocking up the engine and transmission so that two objectives could be met: 1. retain the LS truck A/C compressor mounting on the lower right side, (aftermarket relocation brackets are expensive) 2. ensure adequate clearance at the cross-member to retain the LS truck oil pan, (aftermarket swap kits pushing oil pans are unnecessary)

The Tejas SteelWorks LS motor mount adapter plates achieve this. Others may, as well. Most sacrifice the A/C mounting

Air Conditioning

There are many opinions about the best way to execute Air Conditioning. Most seem to hinge on engine placement. If a stock engine and transmission location are used, relative to the firewall, the right side engine mount will interfere with the LS Truck compressor mount on the lower right side of the block. This will require an aftermarket bracket to move the compressor up higher on the right side. Both the OE R4 compressor and Sanden compressors are commonly used in this position. The brackets can range in cost from $160, to well over $300.

One of the original objectives of the Tejas SteelWorks engine mount adapter plates was to retain the low mount compressors, as it comes with the LS Truck engine assemblies. Our mounting plates position the engine far enough forward to clear the interference between the mounting stand and the compressor, and high enough to allow the compressor to tuck inside the frame rail, with reasonable clearance for hoses. A very minor notch in the top edge of the frame permits the hoses to exit straight away from the compressor. They should have 4” to 6” of hard line, before going to rubber hose. The outlet line (smaller) should bend forward at 90-120 degrees. The inlet line (larger) should just have a straight line, with a large loop in the hose to relieve any strain before heading back to the evaporator case. Our installation uses a Denso 10S17F type compressor, like those used on a 2003 LS Truck, with two separate port fittings.

Compressor controls can be managed by the early OE system, or by the LS ECM. High and Low pressure switches will be OE, for whichever method you choose.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just relocate the AC higher up. I've contacted Tejas, ICT and Dirty Dingo on their mounts. I've heard back from ICT and Dirty Dingo, nothing from Tejas as of this post.

tobiahr

Reaction score
First Name
Tobiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer 2wd
Engine Size
L59 5.3 swap
Tejas is slow to respond as it is just two people and they are churning out as much product as they can to keep up with demand. He has all the instructions for using his mounts posted on his website and on Facebook and they explain all that will be needed to keep it in the low mount position. If my memory is correct it is just a small bit of grinding and a different ac hose needed to work with his mounts.

txk5

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.0L LQ9
Late chiming in, but I'm currently installing a Vintage Air system into my 1973 K5, and am running the low AC mount, as I don't like the look of the high A/C setup. With a Sanden compressor, it certainly clears, but it's a bit snug. The suction port is easily accessible, with the discharge port being a little more tricky to get the hose on, as it's clocked down by the frame.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Late chiming in, but I'm currently installing a Vintage Air system into my 1973 K5, and am running the low AC mount, as I don't like the look of the high A/C setup. With a Sanden compressor, it certainly clears, but it's a bit snug. The suction port is easily accessible, with the discharge port being a little more tricky to get the hose on, as it's clocked down by the frame.

What motor mounts did you use?

txk5

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.0L LQ9
Using ORD Competition Mounts and crossmember on the frame side, with Hooker 12622HKR block plates.

wv79k10

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

What headers did you use? Sorry question is off topic

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

Gonna dig this one up. I'm probably going to install the ORD high clearance crossmember up front. This will probably help with the room below for the sanden compressor.

Thx

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
454 for now working on LS
I'm really happy I found this thread. Thanks guys