LS inline fuel cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Any benefit to installing a fuel cooler on a stock LS engine? If I did so, I would think putting it closest to the rails as possible would be best. The rails on my engine are return-less. Be nice if I could easily convert it for cheap.

Currently the plan is to install the fuel pressure regulator/filter back by the gas tank (31 suburban tank mod). Maybe it'd be best to move it closer to the engine so there's less heat in the line. Ford diesel cooler below.

You must be registered for see images attach

This thought is way out there....lol crush the thought at liberty. What if you had a big "injector" or cavitator on the main line. That way it's already vaporized a bit before it gets to the injectors, thus increasing the vaporization process. yeh way out there I know, but it popped in the brain yesterday and thought I'd ask. [thought just hit me after posting, fuel in fuel out. It's not mixing with anything, so it would probably still be in the same form out as it is in].

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Citing internal combustion principles and principles of matter, cooler fuel would result in a tighter packing of gasoline molecules, thus resulting in a denser, more plentiful amount of gasoline being sprayed into your intake and getting into the combustion chamber. Ideally. You're right, though. This thing would have to go right by your fuel rails to work best because of their exposure to convection from the motor. I imagine you could get up to a dozen (a guess but if you could find some dynamometer info, either done my the part manufacturer or someone else, that would be awesome) extra horses with that mod, and if you're going for an LS build to surpass all other LS builds, every horse counts. However, if your plans are more utilitarian or just general use, I would do something else with the time and money. Another science thought I had was the water affinity that ethanol has. I don't know if you're running a regular LS or an E85 LS, or if you burn ethanol free unleaded, E10 unleaded, or E85, but that cooler would scare me over time because of the ethanol potentially attracting water and corroding this thing. Kind of like a heater core leak + flames. That maybe looking too deeply in it, but I'm trying to think of everything. As far as the other idea about intermediately vaporizing your fuel goes, I think not. I say no because vapor in the fuel lines plus a hot Kentucky day sounds like a serious vapor lock condition in the making, which would potentially strain your electric fuel pump and leave you stranded. I also question the ability of the injectors to pick up fuel in a form other than the one they were intended to. Unless I misunderstood your proposition, I wouldn't go for that. The cooler has pros and cons, but I would do it if you wanted to squeeze every HP you could out of that motor. If that's not the goal here, then I'd say pass on it, as well.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Another science thought I had was the water affinity that ethanol has. I don't know if you're running a regular LS or an E85 LS, or if you burn ethanol free unleaded, E10 unleaded, or E85, but that cooler would scare me over time because of the ethanol potentially attracting water and corroding this thing. Kind of like a heater core leak + flames.

I had pondered the same thing, so I was thinking using air instead of water. Make it a closed loop air system (not A/C....which I'd thought of, and actually read some F1 cars utilize a/c and lose 7hp running the compressor but gain 35HP in the end).

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade