Lowering truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Yes, or you can drill a new pin holes in the rear axle saddles, forward of the original pin hole. 1 inch to 1 1/4 inch center to center. This will move the axle back.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Measure the difference in the yoke stick out at ride height, then disconnect the axle end and bottom out the yoke into the transmission tail housing and remeasure.

What is that difference? 3/4” or greater and you are probably good. 1-1/2” or more (not likely if lowering) and you may look at lengthening.

If too long or short, do it right and have it rebuilt and balanced.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I used to have driveshafts built,shortened,retubed often,for different projects. I used precision built in downtown KCMO., but after enough trips the guys there told me rebalancing a factory driveshaft shortened a couple of inches was unnecessary and a waste of money. Nice of them to tell me that,they could have just kept taking my money. After I learned how to shorten them,this statement makes perfect sense. To shorten one all you do is grind the factory weld off the end. Ever pull a pencil eraser out of the metal thing on a pencil? That's real similiar to how the yoke comes out,it's slid snuggley inside the driveshaft tube. Slide it out, make a square cut 1"2" whatever you need off the end of the tube. Slide the yoke back in and reseat it. The tube is a uniform thickness so you are taking off an even amount of weight 360* . The sleeve assembly keeps it square,if you can weld good you are putting a pretty even amount of weld weight on 360*. If you do it,make scribe lines down the tube so you can locate the yoke back in the tube in the same position it was in. If it was balanced before,it's still balanced. The diameter of the drive shaft also isn't huge like a tire or a flywheel the closer to center you are the harder to get something out of balance.

Last edited:

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
When lowering the rear end of a square will the drive shaft need to be shortened?
Not necessarily, depends on how low you're going. I know plenty of guys that have done a 4/6 and been fine with no driveshaft mods. Aren't you LS swapping as well? You'll need to get a driveshaft made anyway, so you can just measure when you're ready and get one made to your specs

Terry Wilkerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
Yes it's an Ls swap and yes a new driveshaft will be made. I've been thinking about a mild drop. I've been told by my nephew we should do the drop before making the driveshaft. He probably right. This build has snowballed like crazy. They all do.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
While you're asking about a one piece shaft I assume, half ton application, I found a static 3/4 kit listed for my c20 and I can't imagine it will matter to the short half shaft hanging out past the carrier bearing. But I don't know for certain, yet.

Terry Wilkerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
Anyone running 275 60 R15 on ralley's on the front with 2 1/2 drop spindles from lmc?

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3L
I did the 4/6 drop and LS swap, I had a new aluminum driveshaft made to handle the 350hp at the rear wheels.

Heysq86

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I did an LS swap and flipped the rear axle and did not have to shorten the driveshaft. Had .75 - 1 inch of movement.
How much HP is a stock 1/2 ton driveshaft good for? I am using the stock shaft with new U-joints.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Anyone running 275 60 R15 on ralley's on the front with 2 1/2 drop spindles from lmc?
My thoughts on that big of tire is I'd go ahead and do the steering box weld in plates,more tire on the pavement is going to mean more stress on the frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello