Lowering '76 c/20 with shock outside the frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manchondo

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350 with turbo 400 trans
Howdy everyone! Finally got my hands on a squarebody! Traded my 06 mustang for a 76 c/20 350 motor th400 tranny. Unsure what axle. I am looking to lower the truck, without notching or flipping the axle for now. I would be okay with a 2/4 drop but if I could go lower without notching, I would. I am struggling to find kits that will work. Reason being, my squares shocks are bolted outside the frame. Switch suspension has kits for a few hundred that would likely work on the front no problem but none of them work with the rear because of my shock placement. They have one kit that can work with my c/20 however, that requires the axle to be flipped and the frame notched.. I believe drum to disc conversation is required too. Does anyone know how I can lower my truck without making big changes like swapping rear breaks, notching, flipping the axle? Is it do-able for cheap? Would it be better to fix it up and sell for a c10? Eventually once my wallet and I get along better I'd like to bag it and really build it but that will come later. For now I'd like to keep things budget. Thank you all in advance for the help, let alone reading all this. You guys rock!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
All C10 and regular cab C20's have the rear shocks mounted outboard of the frame rails. Any kit or shock meant for a regular cab C20 will fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84