Lower Steering Column Bushing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I searched for a specific thread for this, but didn't find one.

I had an issue pop up yesterday as I was replacing my hydro boost. I looked at my steering shaft and noticed the lower bearing was totally exposed and sitting outside of the plastic retainer. I didn't take a photo of it out, but here you can see I took the clip and retaining ring off. The red arrow is the end of the bushing. It was able to push it back up, but I'm not putting a lot of faith into it staying there. I'm going to guess after 35 years, the plastic wore out or the power steering fluid from the leaky hydro boost made it fail. Of course, the metal bearing is still good and with it back in the retainer, the lower column is still tight.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this before? I may just put a hose clamp on the steering shaft to retain the bearing for now. I've noticed the rebuilt Napa steering box I put in 3 years ago is starting to weep, so I'm sure I'll be replacing that soon :banghead:. At the same time, I'll change the bushing with the kit in photo #3.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota