Lower Radiator Hose Clamp stripped...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Hey, glad to hear it's all fixed up and the nice thing about doing repairs like this is that you won't be revisiting them again in a looooooong time.

Just for the record, you could probably rebuild that entire rig from the ground up, and still not touch the price of a new one, especially when you factor in sales tax on the purchase price, full coverage insurance, and out here in CA, licensing fees that are based on the current estimated value of the vehicle.

TheBlue'Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 10
Engine Size
I talked to Towman about doing the spark-plugs and wires for me (in case I were to happen to strip one of the rusty ones out... trying to do it myself) He said he could do it for me, and I took his card. He came in $5 cheaper than my usual mechanic, and I have more faith in his knowledge of the trucks. It's just a matter of finding a time where I don't need to drive Ol' Blue for more than a day... just in case it gives him some trouble. Waiting for work to find another service van that I will most likely be running... but for right now we have some close work that I have just been using my own vehicle to get to.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Spark plugs are about the easiest thing in the world to change but I understand not affording any down time if something goes wrong. It is a pita esp if you have headers but a simple socket wrench will get it done and I wouldn't be too worried about stripping out a plug. If the previous owner cross threaded one it doesn't matter if a mechanic pulls it out or you.

Take your time and you can do it in a couple of hours. I did cap, rotor, wires and plugs in a little over 2 hours on Sunday night. I needed my truck to get to work today because it is snowing again so I did it on Sunday in case I ran into any trouble. Its a pain reaching over the fender but everything is very simple. Get a Haynes manual and even if you route the wires wrong, there is a diagram showing you the correct order.

You have to decide if its worth your time or just easier to pay someone to do. I think a waterpump is super easy and if you make the attempt to do it yourself, you will too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1