Losing Aftermarket Lights Periodically

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vandyke_Country

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey there, okay so here is the low down. I'm new to this site and I need some help with my truck... I am pretty electrically smart, but this problem kinda has me in a pickle. I have lights that are hidden in my grille and some LED floor lights in my truck. The grille lights run off a supplied controller that came with the lights and my floor lights I run off of a toggle switch. My issue is they turn on when they want to. Last evening I was driving my truck, all the lights worked and functioned properly. I went out this morning to my truck to start it and they didn't want to turn on. At first I thought it could be a bad ground or a fuse blown, but if the fuse was blown I wouldn't be getting power. Forgot to mention, my switch that runs the floor lights has a LED in it when you turn it on. This morning when I turned the switch on, it had lit up, but was very dim and of course no floor lights. I was wondering if anyone knows what is going on or can help me out. I have the power wire for both functions coming from a aux. power supply that is on the fuse box underneath the dash. :shrug:

If anyone can help, that would be awesome. Thanks!

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Sounds to me that the controller may be the issue. Can you by-pass the controller to see if lights function and have good ground?

Vandyke_Country

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I could bypass the controller if I wanted to I guess, but the LED lights in the grill have different patterns. For example I can make them flash, alternate flashes or just have them on. The only problem is that the controller is what controls those functions... And this "no light" issue seems to happen when its cold outside..

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Did you try to figure out if the ground is good? The dim LED in the floor light switch would seem to indicate its getting power but not enough to function properly. If you can verify 12V at the power side the only other thing left is ground on that one if it doesn't have a controller.

Vandyke_Country

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I will double check how my ground side is as well as verify I have 12v at my switch. This occurrence has only happened once since I have posted this thread. weird part is when I was driving all of a sudden everything started working again... Makes me wonder if I'm losing power through the fuse box...?

Miguel

Reaction score
First Name
miguel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Not sure if I'm doing this right or if you have already resolved your issue..?? Well from expirience if you checked your 12 volts and ground , and are good . The best thing to do is run a relay to your lights so it's not drawing too much from just your fuse block. Hope this helps .

Vandyke_Country

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not sure if I'm doing this right or if you have already resolved your issue..?? Well from expirience if you checked your 12 volts and ground , and are good . The best thing to do is run a relay to your lights so it's not drawing too much from just your fuse block. Hope this helps .

I ended up cutting out the controller and hard wiring it to a switch. As for I don't really need to have these other functions of flash, alternating, etc. I have had it like this for several months now and no issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpickett1981