Loosing 12 volts at the injection pump now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dieselbrent

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy
Engine Size
5.9L Cummins
I want to say thank you everyone for helping me on these problems in the past I have had and all the advice given. It's helped me alot. Currently I have the mechanical 6.5 diesel in the truck, but I am loosing 12 volts to the injection pump. The pump is brand new. Where does the 12 volts feed from? And has anyone ran into this problem. I'm scratching my head on this one. I hope yall can help me out.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I want to say thank you everyone for helping me on these problems in the past I have had and all the advice given. It's helped me alot. Currently I have the mechanical 6.5 diesel in the truck, but I am loosing 12 volts to the injection pump. The pump is brand new. Where does the 12 volts feed from? And has anyone ran into this problem. I'm scratching my head on this one. I hope yall can help me out.
Friend, it may help if you can go back and edit the Title of this thread. I was completely lost about how you lost 12 BOLTS. I am NOT making fun of you, I am just letting you know that you may get better help if we know it is an electrical problem.

I know there are some decent electrical schematics available on this forum and on Google as well.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Did 6.5 diesels come in 88s from the factory? I didn’t think so…

If it’s a swap, the 12v came from wherever the guy who swapped it decided to pull 12v from. If this is the case, look in the lower left side of the fuse panel. That’s where accessory spots are located. Check there and look for a blown fuse. Also look at your ignition switch.

Dieselbrent

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy
Engine Size
5.9L Cummins
The truck is original with the 6.2 diesel.

Dieselbrent

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy
Engine Size
5.9L Cummins
The truck came originally with a 6.2, and I took it out replaced it and when I put the motor back in I started loosing 12 volts. I checked the fuses and they were good. Does the wire to the injection pump go to the ignition switch in the steering column? Thank you for helping

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Check the frame to battery (-) and block.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
If I remember correctly the 12 volts does come from the ignition switch unfused. Kinda like the coil does on a 5.7 tbi. I had problems with not getting a clean 12 volts to my coil and it was the ignition switch.

This is a ignition switch pulled apart. Pretty bad inside of there and burnt and corrosion. Cleaned it up and alot of my problems went away.

Attachments

• 20220218_224244.jpg
    20220218_224244.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 39

Dieselbrent

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy
Engine Size
5.9L Cummins
Found the problem. The electric air dog system wasn't turned up enough to give it enough fuel.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm afraid to ask but....WTF is an electric air dog system? Does it control the harmonic valves? Why can't I find it on any of my trucks?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell