looking for 17 inch wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

topper

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 suburban
Engine Size
Hey all. I have an opportunity to get 5 nearly new tires for free but the problem is they are 17's and I have the stock 16.5 wheels on my 1976 k20 suburban. I can't find the wheels partly because I'm not sure what year GM wheels will fit on my 76. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Hey all. I have an opportunity to get 5 nearly new tires for free but the problem is they are 17's and I have the stock 16.5 wheels on my 1976 k20 suburban. I can't find the wheels partly because I'm not sure what year GM wheels will fit on my 76. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You
Your bolt pattern will be 8x6.5 for any 20 or 30 series Chevy truck. The height will 17in, width is up to you, but 8in is pretty standard and will most likey fit.
The one thing you have to look at carefully is the hub hole size. Because your truck is an older 4x4, you have locking hubs, and an axle that sticks out past the rotor face. Make sure what ever wheel you get has a large enough hole in the middle to accommodate the hub, that's the hardest part.

All chevy 8 lug until just recently are 8x6.5, Ford 8 lug before 1999 were still 8x6.5, and older Dodges (not sure when they changed, but I know 80s trucks were the same) before a certain year are still 8x6.5 as well.
The way to measure any wheel, is take a tape measure and measure from the outside of a lug or lug whole, to the center of the farthest away lug or lug hole.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Not sure the style you're looking for, but this here would fit. And that's how youd look up the size
You must be registered for see images attach

And after thinking about it, your hub shouldn't be an issue, because 8 lugs are designed to go over the big rear axle sticking out, which is a little bigger than the front hubs, so no worries. I was thinking about older vs new 6 lug trucks. On those ya have to worry about that

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
H2 wheels are an option..you can usually find them cheap on craigslist or even ebay. I was in the same boat and got a steal on 37x12.50x17 maxxis tires, the h2 wheels were cheap, made well, and look great.

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Your bolt pattern will be 8x6.5 for any 20 or 30 series Chevy truck. The height will 17in, width is up to you, but 8in is pretty standard and will most likey fit.
The one thing you have to look at carefully is the hub hole size. Because your truck is an older 4x4, you have locking hubs, and an axle that sticks out past the rotor face. Make sure what ever wheel you get has a large enough hole in the middle to accommodate the hub, that's the hardest part.

All chevy 8 lug until just recently are 8x6.5, Ford 8 lug before 1999 were still 8x6.5, and older Dodges (not sure when they changed, but I know 80s trucks were the same) before a certain year are still 8x6.5 as well.
The way to measure any wheel, is take a tape measure and measure from the outside of a lug or lug whole, to the center of the farthest away lug or lug hole.
X2 on all that

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Many new 8 bolt wheels are designed to be hub centric, so the diameter of the hub is critical (I thinks it’s slightly smaller than older wheels). Older trucks are lug centric, so they use the lugs to center the wheel.

topper

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 suburban
Engine Size
Thank You so much guys. I've never had to look for wheels like this before.

topper

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 suburban
Engine Size
I've got to look a lot harder since the wheels I have seen so far are out of my price range. I'm living off SSI disability and with another surgery coming up I have to consider my co pay. I'm sure something will come up . Thank You so much guys for all your help.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I've got to look a lot harder since the wheels I have seen so far are out of my price range. I'm living off SSI disability and with another surgery coming up I have to consider my co pay. I'm sure something will come up . Thank You so much guys for all your help.
I will keep a look out at my junkyards. The going rate for any 8 lug wheels is 20$ each no matter what it looks like.

I have a set of 6 lug 17inch wheels that I want to get rid of bad, that were on my 1500 suburban when I got it, but that's all i know of.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Know that selection of tires for Hd trucks in 17” size are limited to 3195 lb cap. But if you have the tires, then you can find wheels for cheap.
Best value, look for a set of 17” takeoff wheels off of any 3rd or 4th gen Dodge. Painted steelies, chrome steelies or alloys will all work on your truck. Albeit with more positive off set than standard squarebody wheels. But you could get a cheap set for under $100 and a very clean chrome or aluminum for $200 or less.
OE GM wheels are out of the question. GM changed to a different bolt pattern in 08? maybe. And the stock wheels before that were all 16s. And Ford changed in 99 I believe , so before 17” tires were a thing.

topper

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 suburban
Engine Size
Well the good news is that I found some wheels. The bad news is that I was on my way to get them and I had a blowout on the expressway. The left rear blew and bent my exhaust pipe, and damaged my perfect quarter panel. I had to call my neighbor since I forgot my jack he showed up got the spare on I pull in the driveway and my radiator starts pissing out of the lower rear. My luck is so bad that a robin built a nest in my downspout and laid her eggs but last night it got so cold the eggs must have got too cold cuz she abandoned the nest.

70SBUDGET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RYAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 CUSTOM
Engine Size
hummer 2 wheels are our bolt pattern and 17 inches

Forum statistics

Threads