Long Drive Prep.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DertRyde

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
V8
Hello All, I am fairly new to the Forum and hoping I can benefit from the collective knowledge here. My dad and i did a full restoration of a 1984 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 Longbed a while ago (17 years) I have since moved across the country and he is now no longer driving. So I fly out to Utah next week and will be driving the truck back to Maryland. It is a garage queen and I have driven it a little every time I visit (once every three months or so) so I know it will start and drive well.

What I am wondering is if there is anything specific I should do before I embark or something irregular that I should watch out for. I am planning on doing the following prior to leaving Salt Lake City for the 2000 mile trek:

Radiator Flush & Fill
New Fuel Filter
Lube, Oil & Filter
Front Dif. Service
Rear Dif. Service
Transfer Case Serv.
A/C Recharge
Transmission Fluid & Filter
Tires rotated, balanced & Inspected
Check Spare Tire
Check Headlights
New K&N Air Filter
New Wiper Blades
Transmission Additive

What Am I Missing? Thanks in advance for all the help.
You must be registered for see images attach

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
After 17 years I would be changing the upper and lower radiator hoses along with the heater hoses. Cheap insurance.

Damn nice looking truck btw.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
New spark plugs for the best mpg, along with that nitrous kit you've been wanting to install

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Obviously a well maintained truck. I agree on the radiator and heater hoses. While doing that, maybe a new thermostat too just because they're only about $8 and you're there already.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
check the square body down thread here for people able to help you if you have trouble along the way. make a note of people along your route.

you will probably drive right threw here on I 80 rock springs WYOMING

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
While doing that, maybe a new thermostat too

2x that.

I would even think seriously about just pulling it out for the trip. It's summer so the engine will warm up and you don't need heat.

Take along a spare set of belts too. It's not like the old days where every gas station had a rack way up on the wall and kept a long handled hook to fetch them down.

And a bottle of every fluid you use is a good idea (P/S fluid, ATF, coolant, motor oil, brake fluid, WW fluid, etc.)

Most important though is a nice big tool box filled with thoughtfully selected tools.

Jumper cables, a floor jack...

Did you get those pictures via email? I guessed at .com (rather than .net) but they didn't bounce back.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
When you have the wheels off for rotation, I'd take a good look at the wheel cylinders and calipers for fluid leaks. Of course the pads and shoes go without saying.

DertRyde

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
V8
All great info, i hadn't thought about the hoses and belts. Thanks a ton, Hopefully it goes off without a hitch. I'll post pictures when I get her out on the open road. ...and thanks chengny i got the cab light pictures and they will work perfect. I'll post pictures of that project as well.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When you do the chassis lube, don't forget the U-joints and shaft sliders.

WD-40 between the leafs on the springs so they don't squeak and drive you nuts all the way home.

Check the ignition timing for grins. Verify vacuum and centrifugal advance operation.

Verify all external lighting operation.

x2 on carrying extra fluids. Throw in 5 gallons of water as well for dousing the radiator in case you have an overheat.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
They covered everything I was going to mention. Some good info. And that is a very fine looking truck.

DertRyde

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
V8
Update - I leave for the drive tomorrow. Have done everything listed and more. The truck is running beautifully. Thanks again for all the input.
You must be registered for see images

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice pickumup, verrrry nice indeeedeeeee.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
So, um did you make it? You left a couple days ago, are you stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere with the thumb out for any alien spacecraft passing by ?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd say it's a 3 day trip with 1 driver and a 3/4 ton low geared truck prolly driving the speed limit. Hopefully if he's broke down or standed, he'd have asked for some help. I'm sure someone would go give him a hand.

I feel confident he makes it without issue.

DertRyde

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
V8
Hey all, just an update - sorry it took me so long. I made it back to Maryland without incident and even got better than expected gas mileage (~13 mpg ave). The truck drove great and I got lots of comments along the way. Only one small glitch as I was trying to get out of Utah, had to have it towed about 10 miles back to the shop by my sister and her suburban. I had all the fluids changed and the AT fluid started leaking from old hoses to and from the trans cooler unit so I took it to a shop to have those replaced and went ahead and got a tune up in while I was there thinking it would pay for itself in gas mileage, the shop Bountiful Utah got me in and out in a few hours but in their haste the dude doing the tune up didn't hook up the ground on the coil and the next day on the way out of town my whole ignition went out, fried!

So, after some roadside triage and a call to one of my sisters who lived somewhat close it was paying for a new unit and hoping they could get it done by closing time on a Saturday afternoon.

After that little snafu everything when great and it is now sitting at my house in Rockville. Next step is to get it inspected and registered here. That should be a fun adventure of its own. Thanks again for all the help and support.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody