Locking Hub Body Won't Seal To Hub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geocrasher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Hey everyone, for as long as I can remember, this hub has been leaking a little. Recently it's been leaking a lot. I thought the bolts were loose, so I tightened them. One of them snapped. Well, that wasn't it.

So today I pulled the hub out and repacked more grease in there, and then reassembled it. The O-Ring on the hub cover is intact, but the hub cover doesn't seat fully into the hub. The gap is bad enough that, so I can drive it, I put blue RTV in there to seal it. Check out that gap. Bolts are tight!

You must be registered for see images attach

Is this an assembly error? The other side doesn't have this issue. I'd love to get it fully resolved. I thought it was worn out parts, but I think it's probably something that that last idiot who worked on it (me!) did wrong. Thanks for any ideas.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Mine is doing the same thing although not as bad as yours. The bolts, as you already discovered will only pull in until there is metal to metal contact. I assume that there is wear/slack in the snap ring and snap ring groove and that the O-Ring should be replaced.
Warn sells a rebuild kit which I will purchase before I go into my hubs again, I am hoping the new components will fix that issue on mine.

Mine are somewhat covered by the rally wheel center caps so I don't notice them.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
check the vent on driff. And make sure you are using Wheel bearing grease It is a lot thicker than reg grease.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
check the vent on driff. And make sure you are using Wheel bearing grease It is a lot thicker than reg grease.
I honestly don't see what effect the vent could have here. The front axle tubes are dry and the axle shafts can be moved inward and outward with relative ease. The rotor/hub assembly should not be affected by anything going on in the differential housing.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
I honestly don't see what effect the vent could have here. The front axle tubes are dry and the axle shafts can be moved inward and outward with relative ease. The rotor/hub assembly should not be affected by anything going on in the differential housing.

Your right I screwed up. Could also be too much grease in the hub.

geocrasher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's had this problem. I'm strongly considering a pair of new Warn hubs for it. About $160 for the premium ones is not too bad. I figure the hubs are just worn out but I don't really know. And now with one of the bolts broken off, and I doubt I can extract it, I need new stuff anyway. I just want to make sure I didn't do something fundamentally wrong when replaced the front bearings and races last year. But, I've put several hundred miles on it since then, if not a couple thousand, so I figure I'd have bigger problems by now if I got that wrong :D

geocrasher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Your right I screwed up. Could also be too much grease in the hub.
When I put this back together today, I actually squeezed grease out. And when I removed it, there wasn't much in there (which is why I was in there to begin with). So I really don't think that's the case. I wish it was that easy.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Some of them also had a o ring where they met the hub is that missing?

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
When I put this back together today, I actually squeezed grease out. And when I removed it, there wasn't much in there (which is why I was in there to begin with). So I really don't think that's the case. I wish it was that easy.
Do You mean that grease came out of hub as You tighten the wheel bearings?? If so that is what I meant by too much grease.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Aftermarket axle shafts? Have you looked at the backside of the locking hub dial for rub marks to see if it’s touching the stub?

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Sounds to Me like too much grease when it gets warm it has to push it out some where Are both sides doing it or just one? Did you put more grease in the other side/ they don't need much.

geocrasher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Ok here's the thing: with very little grease in the hub body, it wouldn't push in. It's not grease. Yes I may have overloaded it with grease, but that's not the mechanical issue that's keeping it from seating when there's hardly any grease at all.

Everything is bone stock.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
I used silicone o-rings on my MM locking hubs. They have never leaked.
Bought a hundred 75mm x 2mm. Grease them up well and they fit the MM hubs perfect without fail.
(The Self Locking OEM units I pulled from my stock GM 10-bolts, are available for anyone rebuilding a factory restoration truck.)

Just enough lube to keep them moist.

Too much grease is worse than not enough.
I over lubricated the internal gears the first time I went into my locking hubs. This causes the locking function to get stuck.
The amount they really need, vs the amount they need if they are leaking without the o-rings, is much different.

When I rebuilt my axles, the plastic washers, all the way inside, were cracked and the inner most seals were hard/leaking.
I had to flush out the axle shaft tubes, because water had infiltrated the inner tubes, from leaking inner seals and the cracked plastic bushings.

I read a bunch of on line stories regarding the inner tube seal kits, where they put a plastic blocking insert into the shaft to stop water infiltration and the long story was the inner plastic tube sealing system caused moisture to build up and actually caused worse inner tube rusting.
My gut instinct to install these was wrong. A full rebuild, using new CV joints and a complete new bearing, seal, washers kit, worked.

The plastic bushing I'm referencing at the beginning of this post, is the dark gray plastic washer used on the main bearing race.
If it is cracked or worn, you'll get water leaking into your bearings and inner tubes. Throw it away and buy a new one for both sides.

The plastic parts I read NOT to use, is the inner tubing, aftermarket tube blocking systems, which claim to block water from entering the axle shaft differential.
I read a lot of guys who installed them regretted doing so, because the internal rust was double or triple the damages from leaking standard OEM component failures.

Orange silicone o-rings are a solution at the hub. New gray plastic OEM washers on the very inner most bearings and new seals are the solution.
New CV joints, like the ones shown in the pictures above, are the solution.

When the CV U-Joints are worn, (they look like u-joints but are actually called CV joints here at the axle hubs), they cause the inner seals and the plastic washers to leak from shaft wobble. Especially on hard worn inner seals.

It is virtually impossible to see the CV joints failing, unless you clean them and watch for rust forming outside the bearings seals.

Your picture is typical and cannot show CV bearing leakages or rust, since everything is rusted.

I'm not saying they are bad. I'm saying, unless you swap them and completely rebuild everything, including new spindles, if they might be worn, you'll be guessing at what's wrong or what's leaking. If the CV joints are slightly worn, the plastic washers inside the inner most bearings are shot.

Some ranchers claim to change CV and U-joints on farm trucks every year, as basic maintenance on hard driven farm pickups.
If you drive 30,000 miles per year and off road your 4wd, it could be normal to swap the CV joints every 4 years, just to be safe.
If you have never changed your front shaft CV joints, it might be time to install Spicer OEM Joints.

They come sealed without grease fittings.
You do NOT want grease fittings here. Buy Spicer and bite the bullet.

Most of the sealed Spicer Joints and CV joints are better quality, when they have NO GREASE FITTINGS.
If the Zirk fails, it leaks water into the joint. The black plastic u-joint seals, are superior to the blue plastic u-joint seals, which come on the u-joints with grease fittings. Non-grease fitting joints are also better balanced. They cost more money... which tells you????

I used Yukon spindle on my passenger side, because threads were worn. New OEM lock nuts, New Spicer lock washers and a brand new 1/2" torque wrench. (The Yukon spindle was mint).

My rebuild is water free for three years now. When I rebuilt my brakes, (before my trans blew out), the internals were good as new.
No water infiltration.

Your water could be leaking from the inner bearing seals being hard, worn or oblong... and because your CV joints are shot.

The vent is critical. Do not discount a rotten vent hose, vent fittings or breather valve being cracked.
Rebuild everything on your spindles, top to bottom, A-Z. Drop your differential oil and wash it all out, and refill with clean gear oil and a new diff gasket or seal it properly with sealer.

You'll be glad you know what's been done by YOU and you'll have the tools to fix other's trucks when you are done.

Take pictures and post them here, so other's can see how you rebuilt it and what happened after you cleaned everything up.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128