Lock Up Kit Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh and on a side note.... I finally got in contact with them today. Their tech told me to just leave the extra pressure switches in there just unplug them. So I'm kindof upset because that means I could have finished it on Saturday, but I guess it's good that I made 100% sure instead of jumping in.

Yepper. Not sure I was understood, but that's what I was saying. Pull the wires, leave the switches and just hook up what the instructions say to do. That makes perfect sense to me. Bottom line, the KIT you have, is not using all the lock up parameters that the transmission has all the switches and wiring for. So you're taking out the more complicated system and putting in the much simpler more reliable system. Now if you were a TBI gas motor that was ECM controlled Lock-Up, I'd say the opposite. I'd go with the OEM set up. Since you're not, just go the easy way with that kit. :waytogo:

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, I'm going to hopefully be able to get to this tonight and get it done. I'm pretty sure the pan is drained now... it's been off since Saturday haha.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay the lockup kit is fully installed and wired up. I need to adjust my TV cable since I replaced it, then ill go test it out to see if it locks up. Its also got a new filter and fresh fluid, so hopefully it will be a happy tranny. Lol. The filter i pulled out was pretty dirty.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well damn. Guess that won't be happening tonight being you're East coast.

But, better safe than sorry. You are aware adjusting the TV cable is critical on the 700r4 right??? Very small margin for error or you'll burn your clutch packs, usually 3-4 clutch pack is first to go for a improper adjustment of the TV cable.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oops i accidentally hit send. I know its critical. Never done it myself but i know there are write ups. How do you know if the clutch packs burn up?

Ill probably be doing this next weekend. Got some school work to do this week.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oops i accidentally hit send. I know its critical. Never done it myself but i know there are write ups. How do you know if the clutch packs burn up?

When the truck don't go anymore is always a good indication. The truck I am aware of this happening to, is the K1500 I bought for $500 cuz it had a bad trans. Had a new very low mileage crate motor. The kid added an Eddy EPS intake, and Eddy 600cfm carb. In the interchange of OEM parts, he didn't have the adapters and brackets to hook up the TV cable, and figured he'd only lose passing gear and drove the truck. He said he only put about 200 miles on the truck after the swap and after it would want to go into 3rd gear, it just went into N and spun the motor up. So he downshifted to 3rd, still nothing, downshifted to 2nd and now he has 2nd gear. I also drove the truck and got the RPM's up very high in 2nd and know I was going fast enough for 4th gear and still nothing. This pretty much told me the 3-4 clutch pack burnt up in that 200 miles he didn't have the cable hooked up.

So if your curious and want to be educated why this happens,

Unlike a Th350, the detent cable does provide throttle pressure signals to the valve body. These signals from the cable are what help determine shift points and passing gear, but that's it.

On the 700r4, the TV (throttle valve) cable does the same as the detent cable on a Th350, but with throttle pressure it also regulates fluid pressure. So if you're light throttle, fluid pressure does not have to be as high and the clutch packs are compressed with lighter pressure. If you get on the throttle pretty hard, the throttle valve knows this by the amount of pull on the cable and raises fluid pressure accordingly to hold the clutch packs tighter since more strain is being put on the clutches.
So what happens if the cable is NOT hooked up, and you take off with light throttle? Probably no harm since light fluid pressure is all that's needed. If you take off full throttle, and that cable is not being pulled, the trans does not increase the fluid pressure, therefore the whole time you're on the throttle hard, those clutches are just spinning, slipping and overheating. You're only going to be by with that a few times then the clutches are wore out and cooked then the trans don't work.

In a pinch, if your cable should break, or you want to drive it to a trans shop to get the cable hooked up or adjusted, chances are if you do light throttle takes offs, shift it manually so it's not shifting to early putting strain on the clutches, not using OD, not towing anything or carrying heavy weight, you can drive it with very little to no harm at all.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205

The fluid turns black or brown, and the clutches look like this lol...
attachment.php

Compared to new...
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG00786.jpg
    IMG00786.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG00785.jpg
    IMG00785.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 103

Latest posts

Forum statistics