Lock Up Kit Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay so yesterday I received the "Complete Brake Switch Kit" Lockup Kit for my truck. Long story short, when I purchased the truck, it did not have the lock up system at all (absent from the vehicle... don't think the guy who installed it knew what it did when he swapped it in). It didn't have it for the whole year and a half that I drove it back and forth to work or the year that he drive it prior to that. Transmission shifts fine, it just doesn't go into overdrive.

Anyway, so I bought this kit, and I read the instructions of course (first time I opened up a trans) and followed them. Got the pan dropped, filter removed, and was checking out the stock wiring vs. the wiring of the kit, and they don't match up. It says to remove all wiring, but what's in the picture doesn't add up.

I just wanted to see if anyone knows the answer to my question since they aren't open til Monday and I want to get it done this weekend. Look at the pictures and you will see what I mean. The new solenoid is one wire, and the old is two. Also there are 4 of those pressure switches in there that are connected up. Is it ok to just have the one connected?

You must be registered for see images attach
<< Here's my transmission

<< Stock solenoid and I believe the TCC switch. The new wiring harness does not have provisions for the TCC switch.

<< Here's the new wiring harness

I don't know much about transmissions or else I'm sure I would know the answer... but I'm sure someone in here knows.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yikes, 4 pressure switches? I don't recall seeing that before. What year is this trans? 1 or a combo of those switches is probably why you're not getting lock up. If you wiring harness wants all those things to be a certain point before it allows lock up, then all it takes if for one of the 4 to be bad and no lock up. I have a feeling that is an ECM conrolled lock up harness and you're changing to a NON ECM lock up system, so yes, it's fine to follow the directions and get back to the old lock up system and let it detect what it wants then initiate lock up. I can see what year your truck is in this screen, but maybe you do have ECM lock up if you're 87 and a TBI motor. But yes, I'd do what the kit says to do and all that other junk should be bypassed.

BUT, getting down to nuts and bolts.... You said you haven't have OVERDRIVE. This kit will not fix OVERDRIVE if it's a Lock Up Converter Kit. All this will do is lock up your conveter. And the TCC solenoid is bad, or the converter clutch itself is bad, this kit isn't going to fix lock up converter either. Needless to say, I'm a bit confused here. :shrug:

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah i think it was supposed to be computer controlled. Should I pull the other switches out or is it ok to leave them alone disconnected? I saw something about plugging them up on another website.

Maybe I'm confused about the overdrive. I meant to say it didnt lock up.

I will finish up the wiring and see how it goes. I didnt want to pull the old stuff not knowing what it did. Thanks for the help

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OK, so you have OD, just not lock up. I'd leave the switches. They won't hurt anything left in. And if you take them out, you will have to use plugs or the trans won't work, so I'd just leave them in.

My next question, now that I know you have a 6.2 Diesel and the lock up isn't vacuum detected, makes me wonder how your kit detects lock up? What does it read to determine when it's time to lock up? Does it say it's Diesel compatible? This could be an issue and is likely why the PO didn't have it hooked up. Then again, it may still use vacuum but off a vac pump. :shrug: That I am uncertain about and would have to do some research.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm not sure where the vacuum would come from off the diesel, maybe the injection pump somewhere. But this kit doesn't use vacuum.... it automatically locks up 4th gear. It has a brake switch that came with it that I need to install so that anytime I hit the brakes it kills the overdrive. It also came with a switch that I can manually turn on/off lockup starting in 2nd gear. It was either this or the speedometer kit from B&M, but I don't have any of the original stuff like the original brake switch. I decided on this one. If it doesn't do what I want it to I guess I can always change it later.

I wish it had a manual in it..... maybe some day I can swap one in. Don't know how hard that is, but it can't be any harder than it was to do the frame-off resto haha.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Glad it's not vac operated so you should be good to go. I'm sure you mean the brake switch will kill the Lock Up. It will OD too, but for this cause, you mean lock up right???

I'm about to convert one myself. I just have to find pedals out of an 85 or later since I have a hydraulic bell housing. I'm going to be running a 4 speed with Overdrive and Hurst side loaded shifter instead of he SM465 top loader with granny low and no Overdrive. Quite a rare trans, but they were optional in 81-87 1/2 tons, and most were found behind Diesels beleive it or not, so I'm told. But the only 2 I know of that were on this site, were both gas. 1 a 305 and 1 originally a 4.3 tha was swapped to a 350. The trans was not an option with the 350 and not an option for 3/4 ton. Came in both 2wd and 4wd though. I'm going with the 4wd.

Go here if interested. It's turned into a long thread though. http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3422

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
No ECM in an 86 6.2.
I think they locked them up hydraulically. If thats a aux valve body trans, the large servo cap on the front pass side of the trans will have to be tapped for a pressure switch that will control lockup.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah I got that figured out on the 6.2 after I got out of that screen. He says it's an aftermarket kit that is NOT operated by vacuum, so it's not going to need OEM provision for lock up. I am curious to see what it uses though and how it operates.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yeah I got that figured out on the 6.2 after I got out of that screen. He says it's an aftermarket kit that is NOT operated by vacuum, so it's not going to need OEM provision for lock up. I am curious to see what it uses though and how it operates.

well, when I got rid of my original 86 700r4, i replaced it with the 92 unit.
My lockup cirutry from the Q-Jet ECM could not control it for some reason, it stayed in lockup.
A buddy at a trans shop drilled and tapped the large servo cover for an oil presuure switch, and wired it up, and it worked flawlessly.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Im not gonna be able to get to it today so im just going to call them tomorrow.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Do you know exactly what kit this is? Brand and Part #? I'm curious to sheck it out !!!

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog.php?Action=GETSUBCAT&CATID=OA1A2

Click on Complete Brake Kit. I put this link on here to show that you can get the additional wiring kit to shut off the lock up if you want.

I'm not sure if linking is not allowed.... if it is I can just write out instructions on how to get to the site I guess. I am just putting the link up because it's somewhat hard to find if you don't know where you are going.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oh and on a side note.... I finally got in contact with them today. Their tech told me to just leave the extra pressure switches in there just unplug them. So I'm kindof upset because that means I could have finished it on Saturday, but I guess it's good that I made 100% sure instead of jumping in.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog.php?Action=GETSUBCAT&CATID=OA1A2

Click on Complete Brake Kit. I put this link on here to show that you can get the additional wiring kit to shut off the lock up if you want.

I'm not sure if linking is not allowed.... if it is I can just write out instructions on how to get to the site I guess. I am just putting the link up because it's somewhat hard to find if you don't know where you are going.

We're not like many other sites. MOST, not all, but MOST links are allowed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynhigh88