Locating odd sized bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Like others have said you really could cut a longer bolt down. We are talking about a water pump bolt not something holds the front end together.

You could try www.tacomascrew.com if you really don't want to cut. TS has always had or been able to get what I've needed.

Sent from my damn phone using Tapatalk

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You know whats really nice? Purpose built propriety fasteners that are discontinued by the only original maker and are used in very limited quantities and need 10.9 hardness and have a shoulder that is a special length for thermal expansion differences between aluminum and steel.
Use too short of a shoulder, threads cutup the aluminum and dont fit snug. use too long, then you dont fasten to the steel on the other side with threads

edit:

you cant just use any long bolt, the space is limited and the next size up has too big a shoulder!

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
You know whats really nice? Purpose built propriety fasteners that are discontinued by the only original maker and are used in very limited quantities and need 10.9 hardness and have a shoulder that is a special length for thermal expansion differences between aluminum and steel.
Use too short of a shoulder, threads cutup the aluminum and dont fit snug. use too long, then you dont fasten to the steel on the other side with threads

edit:

you cant just use any long bolt, the space is limited and the next size up has too big a shoulder!

meh.. farmers have been mismatching and hacking stuff like this up for 100's of years. There's a reason why 100+ year old iron is still around and working. I've never had an instance where a bolt that fit at least somewhat properly caused an issue.

You can get bolts with no shoulder, most bolts don't do anything for precise alignment, the alignment comes from installation and clamping force exerted from the bolts. A water pump and anything in that realm is fine with some custom made bolts.

There's always all thread as well, throw a nut on your length of "bolt" and weld the top flush and grind it smooth. It'll look and work like any other bolt

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Well after reading all the replies here and not finding a great way to get a smaller bolt from a 4" bolt I've done some research and other sites said to cut a bolt so I'm going to try that instead of all the crazy ideas in this thread.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well after reading all the replies here and not finding a great way to get a smaller bolt from a 4" bolt I've done some research and other sites said to cut a bolt so I'm going to try that instead of all the crazy ideas in this thread.

Seems to me a lot of us suggested cutting off a bolt including myself. Heck, the second post suggested it. I think you got the other ideas because initially you didn't like the idea of "sawing off the bolt". If it makes you feel any better this is how we would handle this at the shop. Take the 4" bolt, run a die down on it, cut the bolt off at the proper length, carefully shoulder the end of the bolt on the grinder, then run the die off of it. Running the die down on the bolt before you cut it off and then running it off after the cut assures you that the threads in on the tip will be in perfect condition and will start in the hole just like a bolt made to that length.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Seems to me a lot of us suggested cutting off a bolt including myself. Heck, the second post suggested it. I think you got the other ideas because initially you didn't like the idea of "sawing off the bolt". If it makes you feel any better this is how we would handle this at the shop. Take the 4" bolt, run a die down on it, cut the bolt off at the proper length, carefully shoulder the end of the bolt on the grinder, then run the die off of it. Running the die down on the bolt before you cut it off and then running it off after the cut assures you that the threads in on the tip will be in perfect condition and will start in the hole just like a bolt made to that length.

That was supposed to be clearly a joke :). Thanks for the advice I'm definitely looking at cutting it after the advice in this thread.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
meh.. farmers have been mismatching and hacking stuff like this up for 100's of years. There's a reason why 100+ year old iron is still around and working. I've never had an instance where a bolt that fit at least somewhat properly caused an issue.

You can get bolts with no shoulder, most bolts don't do anything for precise alignment, the alignment comes from installation and clamping force exerted from the bolts. A water pump and anything in that realm is fine with some custom made bolts.

There's always all thread as well, throw a nut on your length of "bolt" and weld the top flush and grind it smooth. It'll look and work like any other bolt

10.9 in m12 that's only 25mm long is a hard thing to shop for. And the shoulder is wider than the threads. The way they operate is almost like pivots on the knuckle when the brakes heat up, which are iron, and the hub and etc. Maybe.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
For future references on odd fastener sizes, Fastenal either has or can get about anything when it comes to nuts and bolts.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
10.9 in m12 that's only 25mm long is a hard thing to shop for. And the shoulder is wider than the threads. The way they operate is almost like pivots on the knuckle when the brakes heat up, which are iron, and the hub and etc. Maybe.
Of course specialized bolts like that would have to be sourced or custom machined. But anything water pump related or anything close in nature is fine to do what you need to do.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
For future references on odd fastener sizes, Fastenal either has or can get about anything when it comes to nuts and bolts.
we have a local fastenal... wont deal to public, only commercial accounts.

would be a god send

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
we have a local fastenal... wont deal to public, only commercial accounts.

would be a god send

A Fastenal that does not deal with the public?? Never heard of such??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128