Lifted Dually’s….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am buying a 1986 GMC 3+3 Dually 4X4 and would like to see if any of you guys have Lifted Dually’s. I know bucket does and I love his rig. So, bucket, please post up any and all photos you have of your toy. I will probably be asking a bunch of questions about how you guys lifted your Dually’s. I am getting excited about picking up this rig. My only concern is how do I get it home 230+ miles. My car trailer gets used all the time hauling Square bodies but this thing is just too big for my trailer. Any ideas fellas? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Well I look forward to Bucket's comments, but until he shows up you'll have to put up with me.
Lifting a dually is no different than any other model. The options are the same.
Rear end - shackle flip, blocks or longer deeper arched spring. Just a 1" lift..? Easy-Inch from ORD or DIY4x4.
Front end - springs, easy-inch, B52 kit sing 52 or 54" rear spring for megs travel.. cross over steering 4" and over .. how much you wanna spend? Deaver or ORD can make you a multi thin leaf spring any length or lift.
Do you want to lifted for looks on the street, or for serious off road capabilities? All details are relevant to you lift choices.
If you want big tires there are a few more things to consider.

You also need a spacer between your dual rims for fatter tires.

@bucket

Oh and you need an effin big block.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I look forward to Bucket's comments, but until he shows up you'll have to put up with me.
Lifting a dually is no different than any other model. The options are the same.
Rear end - shackle flip, blocks or longer deeper arched spring. Just a 1" lift..? Easy-Inch from ORD or DIY4x4.
Front end - springs, easy-inch, B52 kit sing 52 or 54" rear spring for megs travel.. cross over steering 4" and over .. how much you wanna spend? Deaver or ORD can make you a multi thin leaf spring any length or lift.
Do you want to lifted for looks on the street, or for serious off road capabilities? All details are relevant to you lift choices.

@bucket

The truck has a 454 with the manual and the 205 t- case. I am buying it from Mr.Marty’s friend. I want it to look like the Forestry rigs we have around here. They are lifted about 4-6” and look awesome. We have some EMS vehicles that are 3+3 4x4’s but have the utility box on back. That’s the look I want. @bucket @Mr.Marty

Oh, one day it will probably get a 502 or a LSX. Not sure yet but I love the Big Blocks.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Can your car trailer handle the length? If so, take off the outside tires on the rear and put it up on your trailer. if it isn't long enough...my suggestion would be rent a Tow Dolly. Make sure you disconnect the rear drive shaft, and not just put it in Neutral. I used a tow dolly for my lifted GMC Jimmy when I moved from Cali to Texas.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

@bucket

Lol, that last sentence there is a true one for sure!

@BearKing I forgot to mention the wheel spacers before. I can never remember how thick mine are. Pretty sure they are 2" and it's plenty of space for those 9.00 tires.

What tires do they tend to run on those forestry trucks?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Specs on mine are a hodge podge lift. The front springs are 4" Superlift and they actually ride very well. I'm sure the wheelbase and tires help, but I would not want to go any softer with the front springs. Not for something that still gets used as a truck anyway. The steering arm has a spacer block under it. I'm not fond of that part, but it works and the truck steers nice. The rear is lifted with 3" cast blocks. Standard shocks, nothing fancy there either. 9.00x16 tires and 4.56 gears. It's a very simple (and cheap) combo that works well for me and is comfortable to drive.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
You have NO idea how many different times that last picture has circulated on instagram. Every time it pops up Cob and I try to use it to steer folks over here.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Fwiw, a traditional old school tow bar that clamps to the front bumper works as well.
Or do you know anyone you could rent or borrow a deck over trailer?
Like this.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
This was a friend’s dually back in the 90’s. It’s an ‘83 K30 w/ 454, 4spd, 205, 4.56’s, 10” lift and 12.50x38’s (3” spacers between the rear tires).

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Specs on mine are a hodge podge lift. The front springs are 4" Superlift and they actually ride very well. I'm sure the wheelbase and tires help, but I would not want to go any softer with the front springs. Not for something that still gets used as a truck anyway. The steering arm has a spacer block under it. I'm not fond of that part, but it works and the truck steers nice. The rear is lifted with 3" cast blocks. Standard shocks, nothing fancy there either. 9.00x16 tires and 4.56 gears. It's a very simple (and cheap) combo that works well for me and is comfortable to drive.

I’m in love with that truck. Geez that thing is AWESOME.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This was a friend’s dually back in the 90’s. It’s an ‘83 K30 w/ 454, 4spd, 205, 4.56’s, 10” lift and 12.50x38’s (3” spacers between the rear tires).

This is what our Forestry trucks look like except they are a yellow color. They need rigs like this to get to the places where the wildfires start. No roads and these things can go anywhere.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Fwiw, a traditional old school tow bar that clamps to the front bumper works as well.
Or do you know anyone you could rent or borrow a deck over trailer?
Like this.
I don’t really know of anyone who has a trailer like that. I was thinking of the car dolly like someone mentioned earlier. I would put it on the dolly and disconnect the rear driveshaft. It’s not that far. I think Mr.Marty said it was about 230-250 miles. My wife’s Denali with the 6.2 could definitely pull the Dually. My Silverado only has the 5.3 and is getting tired. Big horsepower difference between my wife’s truck and mine. Her 79 Short box with the 6” lift and 35” will not fit on my trailer without rubbing the fenders on the trailer. It’s 18 feet and heavy duty but it’s not big enough for a 3+3 Dually. I am going to measure the inside distance on one of those UHaul dollys and hope it’s wide enough. My friend owns Sturgis Guns and he operates a UHaul out of there also. Hope to get it when he cashes my check. We will see tomorrow or Tuesday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod