Lift Laws for all states!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
To many people also accept and tolerate stupid laws. How many politicians that write these laws do you see wheeling or having lifted rigs? They don't know. No joke, you write or email your local state representative in your district about it, and explain your case, I bet if he wants re elected or is any good at all, he'll listen and tell you what you have to do to get it changed, or he just might write up a bill after one email from one person and agree that, yes that is ridiculous, and chances are the change will fly right thru. You hate to think we are paying governent for such a stupid thing, but thats the process and it does work. For that state, think of the shot in the arm for the economy and how many lights and light covers would be sold if they changed that law. Get that one changed, then work on the bumber height to be lifted. 31 does seem pretty low. Even 40 should still be safe to keep someone form being decapitated. And actually, I just don't see it happening in a pick up or a SUV like it does in a big rig. You have differentials that are not going to allow much get past them, and they are not deep enough under a vehicle to where even a small sports car it going to get under past the engine compartment or or rear trunk area if being hit from the rear. Just not gonna happen.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
My bumpers are 31" to the bottom, even though I dont need to stick to the law since I have antique vehicle tags, but when a Toyota Corolla or other small car pulls up to my truck you can see the front/rear axle would stop them before the occupant's compartment would get hit by the bumper(s). This may not be true for a longbed, but if you think about how high a school bus sits in the back someone in a little car would be totally screwed. I wish we had a law where you could buy a well-made aftermarket "drop-bumper" that could be removed with hitch pins for offroading. I saw a pic of one on a Ford somewhere, it was a good lookin idea. Then people could go alot higher without worrying aout a car running completely under your truck.

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Best thing about Oklahoma has to be no State Vehicle Inspections!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

The back of a dove tail commercial trailer is about that high off the ground too.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
ppl still run the lights, but not many. I wonder how they get by with it or who they go to because the one truck is a body lifted 88-98 truck, and has like 3-4 roll bar lights. I think every inspector has their own idea of what is what but who knows. When I got mine therwe was only one guy doing modified stickers, now there is claimed to be 3-4 doing it.

Now on my 88 I can lift it as high as I'd want to go and be legal, my bumper is only like 19 inches off the ground now. That's a good 12 inches of lift. Not too bad IMO, but on dad's 86 he had, with some 33's that were a little over 31 inches tall, with the truck sitting on them and a 4 inch susp. lift the back bumper was about 31 inches off the ground, to the bottom of the bumper.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
12" of lift on your 88 with stock tires may net 31" but as soon as you change tires you'll be over the limit. As for the 86 something sounds screwy. My truck is basically the same with 6" lift/38s and right at 31". Unless the 86 is a 3/4-ton, I think they sit a little higher than the 1/2-tons at stock height, so a 4" lift for 3/4-ton might nearly equal the lift of a 6" 1/2-ton lift.

Irish, that pic is a classic example of what I was talking about.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
nope it was a factory 1/2 ton, and had factory step bumper on it and on the back the bottom of it was right at 31 inches.

12 inches of lift on my 88 was an example, they make some big lifts but not quite 12 inches, I think one of the best is around 6.5 dick cepek lift and then a body lift on top of that, Then I may be able to run about a 40 inch tire, without trimming anything might have to stick with a 37 or 38 or so.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
here in arkansas we have
No lift Limit
we can have up to 4 lights
Best part no emissions

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
we don't have emissions here, only visual and all they look for is that you have a cat or cats. You can have it gutted or whatever and they don't care. The rest is just to make sure you don't have rust holes big enough to stick a finger in or get snagged on, lights work, sometimes they ask or look at your brakes, and if you don't know them they check all front end parts. Sometimes they look at or check window tint, most of the time if you know them and do buisness with them, they look at nothing, they scrape it offf and throw on a new one. They also make sure you aint got bald tires, but, and a big BUT...

you got a lifted vehicle it's different, they are dicks and particular for sure.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
...They also make sure you aint got bald tires, but, and a big BUT...

you got a lifted vehicle it's different, they are dicks and particular for sure.
You got that **** right! You shoulda seen the face on the guy I wanted to do some exhaust work for me. (They usually do modified inspections for me) He said "you dont have any cats!" I said "I dont need em! I got antique tags now!" Then I had to explain to him why antique tags = no inspection sticker. Then I had to explain that not needing a sticker, I can run glasspacks too. :rolleyes:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
In OK, we don't do anything. About 6 years ago, they even did away with saftey inspections that were $5 a year because inspections stations weren't making any money off them as in selling light bulbs or brake jobs etc. The state figured cars are much safer now days than they were when safety inspection started so no bid deal, and that cops could stop people for lights out, if they wanted, they could ask you to turn on your wipers, toot your horn etc. So we don't have anything at all. Run whatever you want, how you want, No visual ispections or tailpipe sniffer tests at all. ZERO, ZILCH and loving it !!!

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
The lift laws in VA suck and they can stick it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So, Tell us you really feel about the lift laws in VA Dave??? :lol:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
The law states the bumpers cant be higher than 30in from the ground but there isnt any frame height from the ground though. I couldn't find bumper height from ground limit if my truck is tagged for 10,000 gross weight.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BugRedC10