Left hand fuel tank filler solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi all, I posted this earlier as a reply to an old post l had started, when l probably should have started a new thread, I'm till finding my way round this forum, I'm better with a hammer and piece of sheet metal than I am with a keyboard and screen.

Sorted this problem out ! Thank you to all who offered suggestions, but after a bit of thought, over a few beers, and that is when l do my best creative thinking, l went down this path.
I made up bit of crude tooling with bits and pieces l had in the shed. (refer photo) I shaped 2 MDF pieces to match the curvature of the panel inside and out, hole sawed, (98mm inner and 89mm outer) the 4" pipe piece is used to clamp up the actual panel in between the MDF, with the 3/4" allthread running right through the centre, backed up with 8mm steel plates and 3/4" nuts. This prevents the panel distorting. The stub of 2" pipe keeps the back piece centrered in the 2" hole. Tighten the internal nut and the die presses in!
Also mask off panel prior to starting and do a sample piece before it goes anywhere near the panel. A day to make the tool and 10 minutes to drill and press.
Cracked the paint a bit, but l did expect that. I used a 2" holesaw through the panel, and the hole stretched to 2.5".
I know there are people out there who could make a much more accurate tool with right equipment, but l used what was available to me and l wanted to share this with you,
Dave

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88