left break light problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
another question sorry i can't be more helpful to others.this probaly should have been posted elsewhere. please move if need be. when i press the brake pedal only the right brake light comes on the lights work on both side as does the turn signals i removed the left light assembly hooked it to the right side brake light worked fine (brake lights are sealed unit interchangeable utility bed) would trailer brake module have any thing to due with this? could i tap into the right brake light wire or is it used for turn signals etc. thanks in advance

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10
Engine Size
350 TBI
another question sorry i can't be more helpful to others.this probaly should have been posted elsewhere. please move if need be. when i press the brake pedal only the right brake light comes on the lights work on both side as does the turn signals i removed the left light assembly hooked it to the right side brake light worked fine (brake lights are sealed unit interchangeable utility bed) would trailer brake module have any thing to due with this? could i tap into the right brake light wire or is it used for turn signals etc. thanks in advance

Try this. Wiggle your turn signal lever with your foot on the break, while someone watches to see if the break light starts working or is intermittent. The break lights work thru the turn signal switch. I had another truck that did the same thing you describe...it was the turn signal switch not returning to the neutral position.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Times two on the above post from James, in fact I just ordered a new switch from Rockauto about five minutes ago for the same reason.

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
thanks I will give that a try i hope that's it. i noticed my trailer brakes module is not lighting up either when i step on brakes or move switch

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
you guys were right i turn on right turn signal pressed on brakes i had a left brake light went out in center and left side ... is this a DIY or a shop fix? thanks again

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
you guys were right i turn on right turn signal pressed on brakes i had a left brake light went out in center and left side ... is this a DIY or a shop fix? thanks again

From the service manual...It's rather easy.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• ST_330_74_1974_Chevrolet_Light_Truck_Service_Manual-787.jpg
    ST_330_74_1974_Chevrolet_Light_Truck_Service_Manual-787.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 123
  • ST_330_74_1974_Chevrolet_Light_Truck_Service_Manual-788.jpg
    ST_330_74_1974_Chevrolet_Light_Truck_Service_Manual-788.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 121
  • ST_330_74_1974_Chevrolet_Light_Truck_Service_Manual-789.jpg
    ST_330_74_1974_Chevrolet_Light_Truck_Service_Manual-789.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 128
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10
Engine Size
350 TBI

Glad to be of assistance! It's not to bad of a job to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26