Key on power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So i finally got around to wiring up my electric choke.

I just need key on voltage to go to the oil pressure switch. Where can i get this key on voltage from? And, since its the choke circuit, i dont want to just splice into another circuit if its gonna draw too much of a load, i want the choke to be able to get the amount of voltage it needs

And, im not sure if i even want to use the choke spot on the fuse box (Even if i was to, i cant find which one inside the engine bay is the choke one, its the very top left inside the cab where its labeled, but i cant find where it comes out on the other side)
The reason i dont know if i want to use it is because the old wiring only supplies the choke with 2.4V under load, while not under load it has 12v, so there must be some extra resistence that causes that, so instead of messing with it i just disconnected in from the choke thermostat and left it off to the side.

So basically: Wheres a good source of key on power i can tap into without dragging down another circuit for another component?

Thanks!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
get a spade connector and put it in that top left hand spot on the fuse box. I have had no problems with mine being there

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Top left hand looking at it from where?
In the engine bay, it doesnt look like you can just push a spade connector on there, the wires just kind of disappear into it, not exactly sure how their in there

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
From the drivers seat.

You have to hook it into the box on the inside and then run the wire through the firewall to where ever your going with it

Be sure to use an insulated spade connector just to eliminate the remote possibility of it shorting on something

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ohh ok so just remove the fuse and put the spade connector in there?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
No there should be a single slot that would accept one single spade connector. There shouldn't be a fuse in it

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
There should be a connector that goes to the oil pressure switch (the pressure switch is the one with two stabs). Find it. If it is gone, find the wires described below that used to go to it.

There should be 3 wires leading into the back of the connector; a pink/white, a light blue and a dark blue:

You must be registered for see images attach

The pink/white is the power supply for the choke heater and also powers the CHOKE dash light (or the oil pressure warning light if the truck did not come with gauges).That pink/white is a straight run from the load side of the CHOKE fuse to the oil pressure switch:

When you find the pink/white lead, check it for 12VDC with the key in the RUN position.

I gather - from what I read above - that you have decided to run unswitched power to the choke heater. Really nothing wrong with that, just be aware that the choke heater assist coil will begin trying to open the choke as soon as the key is moved to the RUN position. Normally it will not do that until the engine has been started and oil pressure is established. So, if for some reason, you have the key on for any length of time prior to starting the engine - when the engine finally does start, the choke will immediately snap fully open (instead of opening slowly as the engine warms up).

If you find that you have 12 VDC at the pink/white lead, locate the light blue wire (which runs straight over to the choke heater) and just splice the P/W to the LB.

Last edited:

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
There should be a connector that goes to the oil pressure switch (the pressure switch is the one with two stabs). Find it. If it is gone, find the wires described below that used to go to it.

There should be 3 wires leading into the back of the connector; a pink/white, a light blue and a dark blue:

The pink/white is the power supply for the choke heater and also powers the CHOKE dash light (or the oil pressure warning light if the truck did not come with gauges).That pink/white is a straight run from the load side of the CHOKE fuse to the oil pressure switch:

When you find the pink/white lead, check it for 12VDC with the key in the RUN position.

I gather - from what I read above - that you have decided to run unswitched power to the choke heater. Really nothing wrong with that, just be aware that the choke heater assist coil will begin trying to open the choke as soon as the key is moved to the RUN position. Normally it will not do that until the engine has been started and oil pressure is established. So, if for some reason, you have the key on for any length of time prior to starting the engine - when the engine finally does start, the choke will immediately snap fully open (instead of opening slowly as the engine warms up).

If you find that you have 12 VDC at the pink/white lead, locate the light blue wire (which runs straight over to the choke heater) and just splice the P/W to the LB.

Oh, ok, ive seen that connector tied up to the side way down behind the engine where its a pain to get at lol

I'll try getting to that and using that to just plug right on, but it may be like the other wire that used to be hooked to the choke, or maybe that wires spliced from there.

And, i was actually doing it more factory like. I bought the oil pressure switch and since i have a mechanical oil pressure gauge, that was attached where the oil pressure switch would go, so i added a tee so i could have the oil pressure switch off the side and the oil pressure gauge going off the top.

So, i couldve just gone with constant power to the oil pressure switch, but just because i wanted to do it better i wanted to wire it so that the oil pressure switch only got power when the key was on, and only completed the circuit when it recieved oil pressure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD