K10 to C20 frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ptrckdillard

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
shouldnt up to 80 be a VIN inspection exception or is california not worry about pre 76 vehicles

EDIT: you answered in the lick of time between my asking lol
If it's already titled, then no inspection is needed no matter the year. Just no smog on vehicles 75 and older

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Technically it could matter, but it's done all the time. You would run into trouble if your frame VIN was off a reported stolen vehicle or also if you were involved in a major injury/fatal crash and the vehicle is inspected by LE. You could incur liability and lack of vehicle malfunction defense (if that were the case) in the event of a that type of incident. But like I said, I'm not too worried about that.
just get them 75 model year lap belts and use a non collapsible column and a hood without crush points in the center, you wont be leaving any accident to need to worry :)

Lol I joke but its insane how much the 70s and 60s safety changes saved a lot of lives when it comes to the non invasive things like the hood, the column, the seatbelt(I Dont consider a seatbelt invasive since it doesnt at all bring discomfort to me to use one.) bumpers, etc

ptrckdillard

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
just get them 75 model year lap belts and use a non collapsible column and a hood without crush points in the center, you wont be leaving any accident to need to worry :)

Lol I joke but its insane how much the 70s and 60s safety changes saved a lot of lives when it comes to the non invasive things like the hood, the column, the seatbelt(I Dont consider a seatbelt invasive since it doesnt at all bring discomfort to me to use one.) bumpers, etc
very true, I was a collision reconstructionist for several years, there's definitely something to be said for modern safety features, especially when they're not used.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I was Often of the it’s none of the DMVs business but hear me out.
My buddy bought a truck that was cab and frame swapped.
He bought the “cab” vin number and not the frame. The cab was the 73 smog exempt truck.
The truck got towed for some stupid ass reason. And when they held it In the yard they inspected the frame. It was an 80s frame titled to another dude altogether. Also had more than a little back fees on it.
He was stuck paying a bunch of fees is all I know. I think they had to lien sale the truck so he could get it back into his name.
Of course that was just to get his truck back. He still titles it as the 73 but it cost a lot more and was a big headache.

Moral of the story is the vin IS stamped on the frame and it could be seen or looked for when you least expect it.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Like.. to wedge the handle if its a wood one.. or.. take up slack on a fiberglass kind?
Wood handle. I had to narrow the shim about .75". Zip disc. And then drilled through it to pin it.

ptrckdillard

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
He bought the “cab” vin number and not the frame. The cab was the 73 smog exempt truck.
The truck got towed for some stupid ass reason. And when they held it In the yard they inspected the frame. It was an 80s frame titled to another dude altogether. Also had more than a little back fees on it.
He was stuck paying a bunch of fees is all I know. I think they had to lien sale the truck so he could get it back into his name.
Of course that was just to get his truck back. He still titles it as the 73 but it cost a lot more and was a big headache.

Moral of the story is the vin IS stamped on the frame and it could be seen or looked for when you least expect it.
Completely see your point, but I have confirmed the numbers on both frames. The 79 is no longer in the system, and the route i'm probably going with anyway, the frame and cab VIN's will match.

ptrckdillard

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
This topic has been covered many times here before and there's a lot of good info to be read. But the short answer is... Yes it can be done, no it's not easy, no the holes are not already in the frame, yes it involves custom work, and it may or may not be worth the trouble.

Why not just build the K10?
anything 76 and newer in CA has to be smogged

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small

I thought the partial vin was on the top side of the frame under the bed? If that’s the only place, I don’t think you can see it with the bed on.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I thought the partial vin was on the top side of the frame under the bed? If that’s the only place, I don’t think you can see it with the bed on.

I believe they are usually under the cab area, where it could be seen with a flashlight and a mirror.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I just had my bed off and my partial on the frame is right at the gap between the bed and cab. It can vary quite a few inches in either direction from what I have seen.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I just had my bed off and my partial on the frame is right at the gap between the bed and cab. It can vary quite a few inches in either direction from what I have seen.
three of my square body trailers made from 2 79 frames and 1 77or 76(iirc) all stamped the partial in the area forward of the bed. 1 of them is a short bed, that one was further than I would expect. The one was really close to the bed, which is why it was almost disrupted by the cut and bend to make the a frame for the trailer in the left photo. The other pic is of the 77 or 78 frame I have (77?) and the placement of the one on the 77 is partially overlapping if I eyeballed it right and the one on the 78 is visible partially under where the bed would sit, mostly the gap, an the rest under the cab that sits on it. So as bex said, varies.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

this is of course without any knowledge of 81+ vin stamps

yepyep

Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
v20
Engine Size
350 tbi
I mean, it’s horrible to read. Few areas I had to read twice to decipher the actual meaning.
Punctuation is really important when writing. You know the whole,

I helped my uncle jack off a horse.
Vs
I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse.
im typing on my phone with one hand maybe im beatin it with the other or maybe im eating Doritos....either way i treat an internet forum like i do a text message who gives a **** im not writing an essay.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
im typing on my phone with one hand maybe im beatin it with the other or maybe im eating Doritos....either way i treat an internet forum like i do a text message who gives a **** im not writing an essay.
i am

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Preeetty sure everyone is responding on their phone.
Also pretty sure I use punctuation in a text message.
Don’t want someone I know personally to think I’m illiterate.
But that’s your life choice. Eating Doritos, rubbing your chicken, and using the phone without punctuation at the same time sounds pretty damned nasty to me. But you do you boo.

Or for your pleasure

Preeetty sure everyone is responding on their phone Also pretty sure I use punctuation in a text message Dont want someone I know personally to think Im illiterate But thats your life choice Eating Doritos rubbing your chicken and using the phone without punctuation at the same time sounds pretty damned nasty to me But you do you boo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88